PDA

View Full Version : Is getting an nem really worth it?

alovely
09/27/2009, 08:54 PM
So I am upgrading my tank to a 34 gallon. I was thinking about getting a nem in hopes that my clownfish would host it. However, I have heard several horror stories about the nem stinging corals or dying off in a powerhead or something of that nature. I am planning on keeping all sorts of corals mostly SPS and LPS though. That being said is getting a nem worth risking everything?? I really would like to but in a tank with several other corals I don't know if I have the space (even though a lot of the tank space is unspoken for).

StephenInVa
09/27/2009, 09:15 PM
For me and my SPS tank... No a anemone isn't worth my corals getting stung.

nikon187
09/27/2009, 09:16 PM
Depends on the anemone. They def can be rewarding and a joy to keep. They also can wreak havok in a tank quite quick like you said, which species were you considering? Alot will get bigger than your 34 gallon and then some.

dalston
09/27/2009, 09:22 PM
Even if you did have a lot of space, it wouldn't be your choice as to where your anemone would go anyways. They can and will roam the tank until they find the conditions that suits them best, taking out most that is in their way.

It really depends on what you enjoy most in this hobby, for me, an anemone interests me more than corals so I don't really sweat it if I lose a few on occasion to a roaming nem.

alovely
09/27/2009, 09:32 PM
I was thinking about getting a BTA they really interest me as well but like I said earlier I have always wanted one but have no room in main tank and can't exactly keep on in a biocube. Ugh so many choices

dalston
09/27/2009, 09:38 PM
Ugh so many choices

I hear that :spin2: :hmm5:

tufacody
09/27/2009, 09:43 PM
Having kept just about everything, I find myself most endeared to my nems. They are challenging, and keeping one healthy long term is extremely rewarding. However, it depends on what you want to keep. Mine are in their own tanks, and any corals I put in with them I am willing to lose.

IMO, the hobby hasn't figured out nems yet. In most cases, I wouldn't recommend a nem unless you are willing to participate in the experiment. Their captive success rate is abysmal. But, contributing something to figuring out their needs for other hobbysists can be a real passion.

alovely
09/27/2009, 09:52 PM
Having kept just about everything, I find myself most endeared to my nems. They are challenging, and keeping one healthy long term is extremely rewarding. However, it depends on what you want to keep. Mine are in their own tanks, and any corals I put in with them I am willing to lose.

IMO, the hobby hasn't figured out nems yet. In most cases, I wouldn't recommend a nem unless you are willing to participate in the experiment. Their captive success rate is abysmal. But, contributing something to figuring out their needs for other hobbysists can be a real passion.

Wow... you so make me want to do an nem tank completely... Ugh... I can't though what I am gonna do with all the frags I got ready for the tank sigh...

prolawn_care
09/27/2009, 10:09 PM
Make another tank!! HAHA

I am in the process of a nem only tank and hopefully i can get some of my clowns to host in them and have little clowns cruising in my tank...

Good luck! Pics would be great!

tufacody
09/27/2009, 10:14 PM
Aww, that's easy -- tank #2! I'd be amiss though if I didn't tell you that many people think that 34 is too small. If you've never kept a nem before, I suggest you start with something like a rose-colored bubble tip (entamacea quadricolor), especially for a tank that size. You should also know that most consider establishing a tank for at least a year before trying a nem. Doing the research is half the fun. Take your time. This forum is the best reading you will find anywhere for their care. There are some really excellent sources here, and sharing the info is invaluable.

alovely
09/27/2009, 10:24 PM
ahh yeah I knew that is why I wasn't planning on it till a whiles away I know I got the right lighting and know most of the basics and I was thinking that a 34 might be too small. Also because the main tank is too filled right now. As to making another tank... man I would love to but already have 4 tanks... seahorse tank show tank 10 gallon nano and a 14 biocube

prolawn_care
09/27/2009, 10:39 PM
Here's a great link with some good info...
http://fins.actwin.com/species/anemone.html

What kind of horses do you have?

Mako72
09/28/2009, 07:44 PM
An anemone can be kept in a biocube...they actually do quite well in biocubes. I kept my first RBTA in an 8 gallon for over a year, now moving it to a 29 Gal. b-cube. My anemone only moved the first month or so that I had it....it hasn't moved since....you just have to wait till it gets settled....then plant corals away from it.

alovely
09/28/2009, 10:33 PM
I have 3 H. Redi in a 55 gallon hex and thanks for the article haven't got the chance to read it yet but looks really interesting.

prolawn_care
09/28/2009, 10:42 PM
Nice! Reidi for me seem to be the easiest to care for, but hardest to raise the fry...

It's a very informative article!

prolawn_care
09/28/2009, 10:44 PM
Also just FYI my horse hate the nem's that i have ever put in their tanks! They grab ahold of anything to hang on and they tend to grab the tenticles and get stung and it's really not good for them...