PDA

View Full Version : Cycling the tank, do you use a protein skimmer and carbon?

Been_There8
09/27/2009, 10:17 PM
While the tank is cycling, do you use a protein skimmer and run carbon? I have a 14 gallon tank.

lordofthereef
09/27/2009, 10:24 PM
Skimmer I would run, carbon some people say yes, some say no. The carbon really only takes out impurities in the water so I personally feel there is no problem with it.

Been_There8
09/27/2009, 10:24 PM
I thought you dont use the skimmer because it takes out the bacteria that you are trying to grow.

lordofthereef
09/27/2009, 10:34 PM
It won't be removing the bacteria in any large amount. Also, very little of the bacteria is in the water column compared to that on your rock and sand.

Tadashi
09/27/2009, 11:34 PM
+1 on using the skimmer, bacteria grows on the surfaces. Very little lost from the skimmer. Do not forget to do your water changes also. I still did weekly water changes even during the cycle. You would not want to lose anything on that LR you just bought.

Carbon should not hurt anything.

If you are worried about losing bacgteria use some bottled bacteria.

I did not run carbon or use bottled bacteria, but used a skimmer and did WC weekly and my cycle still took about a month, maybe 3 weeks.

Michael
09/28/2009, 12:27 AM
i wouldn't bother with carbon at this stage, seems pointless really and a waste of money, when the cycle is complete and you have started adding livestock then definately use it.