PDA

View Full Version : Lighting/Heat/Brightness Question

DetroitCrow
09/28/2009, 11:10 AM
I'm currently running 4x VHO's on a 660 Icecap, this setup is heating my tank so much I'm having a hard time keeping the temp below 82-84d.

My question is, I'm going to switch to T5's 2x actinitc and 2x 12k's, Will this be enough lighting for a 90g housing all types of corals and fish or will I need to add more lighting? I don't mind adding more T5's but I'm staying away from MH lights, I've used them in the past and they just heat up the living room WAY too much, so if I need more lighting then the 4x T5's please tell me how many and what temps I'll need..

Also how much of a difference in heat output is it from a VHO bulb to a T5 bulb as my vho's are heating my tank by almost 4F. I was told a T5 bulb is half if not more cooler then a vho bulb..

So I could use advise on the 3 questions listed below...
1. Will 4x (48") T5 Bulbs 2x Actinic & 2x 12,000 be enough lighting for a 90g housing all kinds of corals.
2. If I need more T5's how many and at what temp?
3. How much more or less heat could I expect from my current 4x VHO's to the T5's.

Thanks in advance... :thumbsup:

DetroitCrow
09/28/2009, 08:38 PM
Bump before bed, I was hoping to get a reply by now (9+ hours), I'd like to place my order soon.. Thanks

ds4x4
09/28/2009, 08:48 PM
your gunna want at least 6-8 with individual reflectors. heat is probably gunna be close to the vhos but you can use some fans in the canopy. with that many bulbs you can grow whatever you want and have a wide spectrum of color. this setup will probably allow you greater distance from the water surface and they dont produce as much heat as a vho tube

DetroitCrow
09/28/2009, 08:57 PM
your gunna want at least 6-8 with individual reflectors. heat is probably gunna be close to the vhos but you can use some fans in the canopy. with that many bulbs you can grow whatever you want and have a wide spectrum of color. this setup will probably allow you greater distance from the water surface and they dont produce as much heat as a vho tube

I was thinking 6 T5's, what about bulbs? I was going to do 3x Super Actinics and 3x 12k White bulbs..
Or should I use three different bulbs and do 2x Super actinic's - 2x 12k Whites - 2x Other?

Also to make it clear just running 4x T5's won't be enough?

DetroitCrow
09/30/2009, 10:47 AM
No more input from you fine folks? :fish2:

David Grigor
09/30/2009, 10:51 AM
If your tank is heating from VHOs, then switching to T5s isn't really going to solve that. Running on an icecap, VHOs do not run them at the fully rated 110w each ( I believe they are around 78w ). They do NOT add twice the heat as your estimating.

The reason is very likely ventalation/heat build up from your canopy design. Better ventalation/circulation will likely be required. Switching lights from VHO to T5s is not the answer to your heat issues. The switch should be negligable as far as heat goes. However, they will add more usuable light and upgrading will be of benefit in that regard.

James77
09/30/2009, 10:52 AM
4 would work, but 6 would be better for color choices/mixing. The "T5 what bulbs to use" is a frequent question on here, probably why no response. Check the T5 Q&A thread, there are hundreds of bulb advice posts in it.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1706461

David Grigor
09/30/2009, 10:58 AM
Ooops.

DetroitCrow
09/30/2009, 02:37 PM
4 would work, but 6 would be better for color choices/mixing. The "T5 what bulbs to use" is a frequent question on here, probably why no response. Check the T5 Q&A thread, there are hundreds of bulb advice posts in it.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1706461

Thanks I posted my question in that thread!! :)