PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Algae on Tank?

ka0s
09/28/2009, 11:42 PM
I just today picked up my tank from a craigslist deal, and I was wondering, how do you get dried algae from the sides of the tank and plumbing? 120Gal with 35 gal sump. He used it as a brackish catfish tank.

Would it be better to just replumb everything? But I still need to get all of the algae from the back and overflows/plumbing.

I'm assuming with a razor scraper and some water, as I've cleaned other tanks, but I was wondering if there was an easier method..?

If someone could recommend something about cleaning an EMPTY tank that is fish safe that would be great!

Just can't wait to start my new SW/Reef tank

PRDubois
09/28/2009, 11:43 PM
Vinager & water solution

lordofthereef
09/29/2009, 12:43 AM
+1 to the vinegar solution. Before making it a saltwater reef tank I would make sure the original owner didn't use any medications like copper or else you may be in for trouble.

ka0s
09/29/2009, 01:27 AM
so should I refill the tank and then add the vinegar? About how much?

PRDubois
09/29/2009, 01:34 AM
I would put 1 gal vinagar and 1 gal of water in tank. Wet sides using clean soft rag.
After it is wet fir a few min start with the razor and it should come right off.

If you want to fill tank and let it sit then I would use 1 gal vin to 10 gal water.

Reefugee
09/29/2009, 02:56 AM
Skip the vinegar. It's too weak of an acid. By the time you dilute it, it's not very effective unless you let it sit for a long time.

Go to Home Deport and purchase some muartic acid ($10 for two 1 gallon jugs). Fill your tank with about 50% water. CAREFULLY pour in a gallon of acid. then fill the tank with water. Let sit for a little bit. Then scrub. Don't put you hand in the acid solution though. If you splash some on you, just rinse it off. If you're concerned about putting in a gallon of acid, then use 1/2 a gallon. I do this all the time, and it works great.

Minh

deuce2002
09/29/2009, 07:33 AM
+! 0n the Acid you can also get long rubber gloves from HD that would be helpful,also rince the tank very well and i mean well,also +1 on asking the previous owner about if he used copper in the tank.RJ

ka0s
10/01/2009, 05:47 PM
Now that the tank is all cleaned up... Sump Time ( Ended up using Vinegar first, and it worked great, thanks ).

I know some have posted designs on a few threads, but I have a slightly unique situation, I guess.

He was using a 30L tank for a wet/dry system for his freshwater tank.. and I'd like to reuse it..

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1491931/Tank/Sump%20Design.jpg

That's the design I have going currently.. 120 Gal AGA RR.
The Dark blue pieces will be PVC tubing used to support the refuge bottom.
The Inlets are on the backside, and drilled the return pipe is on the front and uses 90 deg. elbows to go around to the return pump.. Quiet One 6000.
I will of course be using two unions around the pump for easy removal, a ball valve on the return, and a T/Ball valve into the Fuge, but my main concern is the design and flow of the sump, would the above design flow nicely? Or should I add another element? I was thinking about putting a 45 degree sheet of eggcrate that flows down into the middle return section, that rests on some pieces of plexi, to get some better bio filtration..

Would I even need a bubble trap with this setup?