PDA

View Full Version : Filtration fowlr

mikenam
09/29/2009, 12:17 PM
So I'm helping to setup a used 125 FOWLR. There's about 100lbs of liverock, & a seaclone skimmer. Is there anything else that is needed?

I was thinking of turning the canister filter into a carbon filter.
I will remove the biowheel filter.
Keep the UV lighting.
Dose vodka.
Can copper be used to remove algae without harming fish or inverts?
I guess algaefix would work too?
I don't think a FOWLR would need a decent skimmer so Seaclone should be good enough?

Exiledonmainstr
09/29/2009, 01:44 PM
Take that seaclone back to the store before it's too late. It is the worse skimmer you could possibly own. I use a reef octopus. There are quite a few good skimmers out there and you need to make sure it is at least rated for your tank size if not bigger. The skimmer is the most important part of your FOWLR. I would not dose my tank with copper for the algae removal. If you keep your nitrates in check the algae will be minimal. I only vodka dosed because my nitrates were off the chart. I would cycle this tank first and then if nitrates are an issue you may want to start dosing per the correct formula. Best of luck to you in your new tank.

mikenam
09/29/2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the reply. The tank isn't mine. I'm just going to help set it up and maintain. The whole was bought used and pretty much cane with a bunch of equipment including the seaclown. I figured it's better than nothing. I didnt think a fowlr would need that good of a skimmer since there are no sps or corals.

I was thinking that since there are no corals to worry about the tank can be maintained with chemicals to make it easier for the owner.

Exiledonmainstr
09/29/2009, 02:39 PM
No mike any salt water aquarium has to have a great skimmer to make things right. Trust me the money you save on buying one will be lost many times over in headaches, chemicals and fish loss. Do yourself a favor and spend a couple hundred dollars on one. You won't regret it. Good luck.

Paul

predator 1
09/29/2009, 03:35 PM
A good skimmer is essential to a FOWLR system. The bioload produced by some of the monsters that we choose to keep is enormous compared to reef only systems. In fact, I only use live rock as decor in my Grouper system, because the bacteria in the rock would be simply overwhelmed if it was the only biological filtration mechanism to process the waste. Instead, I entrust the task to a huge Deltec AP skimmer, and a six foot tall fluidized sand reactor.

Diablo4
09/29/2009, 10:12 PM
What type of fish are you planning for the 125 g. Aggressive ? Use the biggest best skimmer you can afford. Allso the tallest you can fit is best. The longer the bubbles have to travel the more poteins they remove. Good skimmer and I prefer sump filters to canisters.

LisaD
09/30/2009, 04:57 AM
You can find decent used skimmers on ebay or craigslist. Do the research for your friend and find a decent one, you really will need it.

Is the tank drilled for a sump? If not, research HOB (hang on back) skimmers.

Really, the seaclone is a useless skimmer. If your friend insists on running skimmerless, the tank will have to be VERY lightly stocked, with a regular and frequent schedule of water changes.

saltyguy51
09/30/2009, 03:40 PM
Mikenam, you can do what you want but you don't need to skim when you first start up a tank since there is nothing to skim, I have run skimmerless tanks for four years and have had healthy fish and growing fish without a skimmer, I know of others who don't run skimmers on their tanks but tanks without should'nt be stocked heavy although I did and did alot of water changes. A hundred pounds sound like alot but really is'nt that much in that size of tank. I sure would have a good sump though and if not drilled then you can use the overflow boxes. I would say the sump and filtration should be first in line as far as equipment and as Lisa said you can by them used for a fair price these days. I don't know to much about the different brands of skimmers but since you have that one use it for now and then your friend can upgrade down the road if they want to continue in the hobby. Don't go out and spend lots of money till they see if it's something they are going to continue with. No chemicals untill needed (copper, algea fix, ect.) Have fun!

sltyncopa
10/01/2009, 02:43 PM
Thx Exiled, my sentiments exactly! I picked up a Seaclone for $15 and the ONLY reason I did that was bcuz it was brand new and had a Maxijet 1200 with it! LOL