PDA

View Full Version : Closed loop question - is this overkill?

ChloroPhil
09/29/2009, 07:08 PM
I'm in the way far ahead advanced planning (aka Daydreaming) stages of putting together a large (for me) reef tank. I've kept numerous nanos, but I want the extra OOMPH and bioload provided by a larger system. Right now I'm looking at a 120 because I like the dimensions and it'll be great for a 3-sided rock wall habitat with LPS, Softies, Gorgs, and some SPS.

I'm considering using 4 penductor outlets as well as using a separate Ocean's Motions unit which I already have. My questions are:

1. Would you put the closed loop on the OM 4-way going horizontally across the tank or on the penductors pointed diagonally from the rear-top and front-bottom of the tank?

2. Is this just overkill?

3. If it is overkill, which option would you go with, the OM 4-way, 4 penductors, or 2 penductors and the OM 4-way?

Thanks!
Phil

tangtang clown
09/29/2009, 07:43 PM
Phil, I am in the final stages of upgrading from a 75 to a 125, which will be my second tank ever. I have the same idea of using a Dart and a OM 4 way together on a CL. I just started dry fitting my pump and OM together tonight. I don't think mine will be overkill, as I will have ball valves on each of the 4 outputs of my CL. Which version OM do you have?
Which pump are you planning on using for the CL? Check out my build if you think it will help. I should be finished fitting the OM to my bulkheads tomorrow night, so I will post more pics at that time.

tkeracer619
09/29/2009, 07:56 PM
OM4 kills the flow of a dart. Too much head loss. Make sure to do the 3 on 1 off drum.

To the OP you will need 4 penductors on a om4. Overkill depends on the pump but I don't think you will have any problems.

viggen
09/29/2009, 08:01 PM
are penductors needed? they require a pressure rated pump which sucks a lot more juice.... why not just use the om-4way & get a more effecient low head pump? Like a Dart Gold or something like that.... 3000 gph going through your tank & under 200w of power to run it.

tangtang clown
09/30/2009, 06:29 AM
After seeing the power of my snapper return pump through two 3/4" bulkheads reduced to 1/2" locline wyes, I'm sure the Dart will have more than enough power to power my OM 4way, which is a 1&3,2&4, so two holes open at a time. I was advised to use the Dart pump by the manufacturer of the OM and by people who set up CLs for a living.
Also, the Dart will keep my watts down compared to a pressure rated pump.