PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about stocking

Doobze
09/29/2009, 08:37 PM
I have a 46gal FOWLR, so far with a:

-1 Nassarius snail (who I've seen maybe once, hoping he's still alive in there somewhere)
-1 Sand sifting sea star
-1 peppermint shrimp
-3 turbo snails
-5 blue legged hermit crabs

Here's what I've decided on getting for sure:
-Ocellaris clown
-Coral beauty angelfish

What I'm looking for are colorful, personable, good for begginners, no drama tankmates.

A few ideas I've been mulling over:
-Yellow watchman goby
-Six Line Wrasse
-Royal Gramma

thegrun
09/29/2009, 08:44 PM
I have a 6 Line and a Royal Gramma, both are great fish. The 6 Line Wrasse was a little aggressive for the first few months I had him, but he has settled down now and is peaceful.

Doobze
09/29/2009, 09:03 PM
Other suggestions?

Doobze
09/30/2009, 12:50 PM
Bumpity bump

thegrun
09/30/2009, 01:25 PM
I had a spotted hawkfish in my last FOWLR tank, I like the way they sit up on the rockwork. I would also recommend you add a few more snails to keep up on the algae.

Reefer Brandon
09/30/2009, 01:27 PM
A 6 line is one of the most personable fish you can get. They literally develop their own personalities.

Doobze
09/30/2009, 01:31 PM
turbo snails? I really have no idea what happened to my nassarius, haven't seen him in days, I've sort of assumed that he died although I have no idea why.

As for the six line, the only qualm I have is my peppermint shrimp. I've heard they can eat shrimp, should I be worried about that?

upster
09/30/2009, 03:40 PM
I have 2 clowns, 1 six line, 1 CB, 1 tiger pistol shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp in a 40 breeder.

I did get an orange spotted shrimp goby with the pistol but it went awol a looong time ago. Ive heard they can come out of hiding months later, but I dunno.....

Everyone is about 2 inches long get along great. The wrasse doesn't bother or chase anyone. At worst he ruffles his fins at a clown if one gets in the way of his "circuit" around the rocks.

upster
09/30/2009, 03:43 PM
To be honest, you might even think about leaving the clowns out. It's just my opinion, but its feels like the clowns swim around like meat heads. It kinda takes away from the other fish that seem to act more naturally. I've seen a midas blenny at my LFS and they look like neato fish.

upster
09/30/2009, 03:45 PM
another post...sorry!

Don't worry about the nassarius, they bury themselves in the sand with their "nose" out of the sand. If you get a few you will notice that they come out of the sand like zombies at feeding time.

Doobze
09/30/2009, 06:01 PM
The problem is I haven't seen him in more than a week, I haven't seen his little stalk and he hasn't come out for feeding :/