PDA

View Full Version : can u put damsels with mandarin, tang, clowns? please advise

povsan
09/30/2009, 10:25 AM
I have two clown fish, mandarin, and a hawaiian tang....'
thinkin of puttin in some damsels for coloor and traffic, my tank is too slow and still, just have mushrooms and a few coral trees.

please advise

thank you

usefulidiot213
09/30/2009, 10:55 AM
I don't know how large you tank is, but Damsels are on most cases very aggressive fish. I have a yellow tail blue damsel that I have had in my tank for about 3 years, and at first he was a total A-hole to everything and everyone, but I could never catch him to get him out. Now he has relaxed and only protects his rock. That's my personal experience with damsel fish. I know that a lot of other people have talked about how aggressive they are, so you might be taking a risk, and they are really hard to get out of the tank after you put them in..
If the tank is smaller and everything is forced to share space, then it becomes more of a problem

BLKTANG
09/30/2009, 11:03 AM
No. Not IME.Ive seen over a dozen people try.The Damsels always atack.

BLKTANG
09/30/2009, 11:05 AM
Reef Cromis,Purple Firefish,Cardinals.Just 2 name a few.

Toddrtrex
09/30/2009, 11:06 AM
Depends on the type of damsels. I have 4 Talbot's damsels in my 75, and they don't bother any of the other fish in the tank. Once in a while they will chase each other, but nothing serious. They behave nothing like a "blue" damsel does.

povsan
09/30/2009, 11:20 AM
so u guys would probably all agree to put chromis?

how about an angel fish, butterfly, etc... u know? the pretty fish that makes the tank have color and eye candy...

anything in mind?

Toddrtrex
09/30/2009, 11:21 AM
What size tank do you have?

What, if any, corals do you have?

povsan
09/30/2009, 11:44 AM
75 gallons, with mushroom and coral tree

Beamers
09/30/2009, 12:13 PM
Stay AWAY from damsels. They're cheap and colorful, but an absolute nightmare in a peaceful reef environment.

I would only put damsels in a fish only aggressive tank - If you want color and movement get some Chromis, they come in quite a few colors.

Toddrtrex
09/30/2009, 12:22 PM
75 gallons, with mushroom and coral tree

Plan on any other corals in the future? I wouldn't be surprised if a butterfly went after some of your corals, though there are a lot of butterflies.

The only angels I would consider would be one of the dwarfs -- which are hit or miss with corals.

snowman5373
09/30/2009, 12:26 PM
I would suggest a few blue/green chromis. If you get enough they will swim in schools. Damsels are to aggressive.

usefulidiot213
09/30/2009, 12:27 PM
I would agree with Chromis, Firefish. More money would get you fairy Wrass or Athens.

povsan
09/30/2009, 01:19 PM
I heard Athens is a lil bit hard to feed is that true?
Im thinkin now about chromis hahaha since it looks like everyone here agrees to NOT put damsels in hahaha thank u for helping.....

butterfly =) i WANT COLOR haha please help

Toddrtrex
09/30/2009, 01:27 PM
Depends on the type of damsels. I have 4 Talbot's damsels in my 75, and they don't bother any of the other fish in the tank. Once in a while they will chase each other, but nothing serious. They behave nothing like a "blue" damsel does.

I heard Athens is a lil bit hard to feed is that true?
Im thinkin now about chromis hahaha since it looks like everyone here agrees to NOT put damsels in hahaha thank u for helping.....

butterfly =) i WANT COLOR haha please help

Like I said above, not all damsels are evil. The Talbot's are pretty mellow, and IMO, pretty nice looking.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/gangof43.jpg

Lightsluvr
09/30/2009, 01:32 PM
Ditch the damsels...

If you're looking for fish that will school and are colorful, look into lyretail or bartlett's anthias - one male and a few females...

JMHO.

LL