PDA

View Full Version : qt or not

aznepydna
09/30/2009, 10:45 AM
I purchased a female wantanabei angel from Divers Den and will be receiving it tommorrow. Should I qt this fish or not? Looking for opinions. Thanks.

Andy

John Dawe
10/07/2009, 05:51 AM
You should QT all fish, no matter where they came from.

Gwynhidwy
10/07/2009, 06:14 AM
You should QT all fish, no matter where they came from.

+1

Quarantine everything wet unless you like gambling.

LargeAngels
10/07/2009, 11:25 AM
+2. Even Diver's Den will tell you they can't guarentee it is 100% disease free. Plus, QT is not only for disease but to allow the fish to relax if it is stressed from being caught, bagged and shipped across the country before having it to compete with established fish.

swegyptian
10/07/2009, 11:45 AM
I QT everything wet, even algae and inverts. That wasy if something goes wrong in the tank, I don't need to worry about the usual ich outbreak.

cas
10/07/2009, 12:26 PM
+2. Even Diver's Den will tell you they can't guarentee it is 100% disease free. Plus, QT is not only for disease but to allow the fish to relax if it is stressed from being caught, bagged and shipped across the country before having it to compete with established fish.

+1.

It also gives you the chance to get it eating without needing to tear down your tank if something goes wrong.

tranto1
10/07/2009, 05:33 PM
don't risk it, QT, trust me. an ounce of prevention is worth a lb of cure.

wooden_reefer
10/07/2009, 05:38 PM
I purchased a female wantanabei angel from Divers Den and will be receiving it tommorrow. Should I qt this fish or not? Looking for opinions. Thanks.

Andy

I think even well meaning and dedicated sellers may not know what QT involves.

Some people should know better to say that two weeks of obervation is QT.

You know what rigor is needed to eradicate ich, for example.

Are your fish QT'ed? so you ask ths seller. What do you suggest that he say?

He will have to express his knowledge and committment very eagerly in great details, at least.

And then there is trust.

AuroraDrvr
10/07/2009, 05:54 PM
I think even well meaning and dedicated sellers may not know what QT involves. Some people should know better to say that two weeks of obervation is QT. You know what rigor is needed to eradicate ich, for example. Are your fish QT'ed? so you ask ths seller. What do you suggest that he say? He will have to express his knowledge and committment very eagerly in great details, at least. And then there is trust.

Not sure what point you are trying to make, but LiveAquaria (specifically Diver's Den) fish are pretty much the best fish you would be able to get. Yes, they are QT'd, some are copper'd if necessary, some are hypo'd if necessary and others are treated with other medications and methods.

That's not to say I would dump the fish straight from the shipping bag into the DT.

wooden_reefer
10/07/2009, 06:29 PM
Not sure what point you are trying to make, but LiveAquaria (specifically Diver's Den) fish are pretty much the best fish you would be able to get. Yes, they are QT'd, some are copper'd if necessary, some are hypo'd if necessary and others are treated with other medications and methods.

That's not to say I would dump the fish straight from the shipping bag into the DT.

The point is precisely what you are saying, or not saying.

How many weeks of continuous active treatment against ich do they mean by QT, for example?

And after eight weeks of continuous treatment, where does the seller place such fish?

I want detailed info of the seller's setup to gauge if there is any chance at all of true QT for the fish I get.

Some people can be loyal to a seller prematurally.

True QT is a more rigorous process than even the best seller can deliver, IMO.

aznepydna
10/07/2009, 06:59 PM
I am qt'ing my new arrivals. Best to be safe. Thank you.

Andy