PDA

View Full Version : scratched tank someone please help

fishstick3
09/30/2009, 10:55 AM
I was using my magna float yesterday on my 12 gallon nano cube dx. I was rocking out to my ipod and didnt hear the scratching counds next thing I know there are two small scrathches to the outside of my tank. I know that this isnt a big deal to the fish but this is my first tank and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it and I just dont want there to already be scrathes, If anyone has any ideas on what to do I would really appreciate it. I tried toothpaste which helped a little but I am a perfectionist.

Sisterlimonpot
09/30/2009, 11:16 AM
Sounds like an acrylic tank. Depending on how deep the scratch is you’re going to have to use sand paper to get rid of the scratch working your way up to 4000+ grit and then using buffing agents to polish the surface. The only part you need to be concerned with is that once you start doing this you may distort the view.

DC_40gallon
09/30/2009, 12:33 PM
I agree, buff buff buff buff buff it out. The slower and more methodical you are the better! TAKE YOUR TIME if it is acrylic! You might have someone on here that has a "fix all" remedy magic substance that you can get at a speciality store or hardware store that will take it right out.

fishstick3
09/30/2009, 12:34 PM
what does that mean? distort the view, do you mean changing how it is a bowfront? Can I get the buffing agent at Home depot? or should I try and get the materials from my LFS?

fishstick3
09/30/2009, 12:36 PM
If the scratches are tiny will buffing it make the rest of the tank un smooth? Sorry to have so many questions but I am really upset about this I am a broke college kid and my tank is my life right now so I just want to do it right.

DC_40gallon
09/30/2009, 12:49 PM
So they are tiny? We will get this fixed!
http://www.ehow.com/how_4868988_remove-scratches-acrylic-aquarium.html
http://www.freshmarine.com/scratch-removal-kit.html
http://home-and-tanked.com/scratches.html - highlight the text on this page to read it
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=novus&x=0&y=0

The last one is the Novus stuff that I seem to read a lot about. It doesn't seem that expensive and it will be there by your side when it happens again (no pun intended - it happens)

James77
09/30/2009, 12:49 PM
You are buffing it out using progressively finer sandpaper or grit. You won't notice the unevenness if the scrtches are that small. It is an acrylic tank, correct?

DC_40gallon
09/30/2009, 12:52 PM
yes - please confirm with us that it's an acrylic tank. Obviously do NOT use any form of sandpaper on your glass tank

nualln
09/30/2009, 01:03 PM
I scratched my acrylic FW tank a few days ago with a magfloat (the one that's designed for acrylic).

Anyway, drain the tank until you can see the scratches outside of the water. Then go to walmart and buy turtle Wax rubbing compound and some buffing cloth. Put some of the compound on the cloth and rub in a circular motion over the scratches. It got them right out of my tank, and now the area I buffed looks better than the rest of the tank.

Make sure you clean every last speck of rubbing compound off the inside of the tank. I don't know if it's toxic to the fish, but it surely cannot be good.

fishstick3
09/30/2009, 03:16 PM
truthfully I am not sure. I tried to look it up and I think it might actually be glass, I dont know for sure

fishstick3
09/30/2009, 03:17 PM
it's on the outside luckily

fishstick3
09/30/2009, 03:22 PM
thank you all very very much for your help. I am going to my LFS where I bought my tank to make sure 100% exactly what the tank is made of... Thank you all very much again

jtrim123
09/30/2009, 04:41 PM
It should be glass. How you scratched it with that, I have no clue. Look on ebay for glass scratch removal kit.

fishstick3
10/01/2009, 10:45 AM
yeah it is glass. I have no idea i am brilliant what can I say:) so you can buy a glass repair kit. I promise although I may a little bit of a blonde everything in my tank is alive and treated well:)