PDA

View Full Version : I need a skimmer for my 29gal

thecodfather
09/30/2009, 11:00 AM
Hello everyone, My coralife skimmer is taking a crap on me and I'm in the market for a new one. Its a 29gallon reef with canister style filtration. Can I get some suggestions for a good hang on the back skimmer. Thanks in advanced.

DC_40gallon
09/30/2009, 12:12 PM
Eshopps! Check out the Eshopps skimmers club thread on this same page! You won't find a single person who will be neutral or negative about them.

Videos on youtube and drsfostersmith.com are great to see performance. $130-140 and you will wonder where the gems seem to be hiding all your marine aquarium life.

DC_40gallon
09/30/2009, 12:27 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1714517
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.phpt=1710927 - this one is an insump cone but you will get to see more pics and peoples happiness with them
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1708524

thecodfather
09/30/2009, 01:07 PM
I was checking out the eshopps psk75h, wow does that thing skim. Thanks for the info! Any other suggestions? I think im sold though lol.

JeF4y
09/30/2009, 01:11 PM
If it's an oceanic biocube, I have an SR-3 skimmer that will fit in the sump area that I'll sell you. I used it about 5 months. PM or email me.

1DeR9_3Hy
09/30/2009, 01:18 PM
Ive been VERY happy with my Eshopps 100 hang on skimmer...I have pics online...but i dont have the time to find them while at work. If i see this thread later tonight, i will hunt them down and post them here.

Regardless, 1 vote for either of the ehopps hang on skimmers.

thecodfather
10/01/2009, 09:13 AM
Thanks jef4y, but it's an aga 29gal. I dont know if it will work.

eshoppsinc
10/01/2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks jef4y, but it's an aga 29gal. I dont know if it will work.

the PSK-75H will work perfect for your 29g tank. if you get this skimmer, you will never have to worry about getting another hang-on skimmer again.

CreatiVe2
01/03/2010, 08:36 PM
I'm looking onto the PSK75H, My seaclone just isn't cutting it.
How far off the back of the tank does this skimmer sit?

Patriot54
01/03/2010, 09:54 PM
I would go with Eshopps. I have the PSK-75 and its awsome so far, just set it up today too. Its noisy tho, like a trickling water noisy, do any of you have any suggestions to make it quieter? Also to who ever asked, you need about 4 inches from the back of your tank to the wall

Chiefsurfer
01/03/2010, 10:13 PM
I have the eshopps 75 psk-h. Yes the constant waterfall noise is kind of annoying, but this being my first tank and skimmer, I have nothing to compare too.

I love it. It is kinda tempermental. It can easily over-react, and can be tricky to adjust in the beginning. Once it breaks in, and everything starts going well, it works great.

The sadly MAIN thing I am not too pleased with is the fact that the pick-up is 8 inches below the surface of the water. I doubt I would modify it to bring it higher, but rather build a little "overflow" box so it skims the surface more. It skims very well, and my water is VERY clear, but i can still see some "protein swirls" at the top of my tank.

I think there is a fairly discussed topic about it here, and will see if I can find it for you.

Patriot54
01/03/2010, 10:24 PM
I hope you can find it

moondoggy4
01/03/2010, 10:55 PM
Not to steal anything from the Eshopp but the Bubble Magnus BBQQ HOB is getting great reviews also, definitely not as attractive and it is at a very good price.

-RYknow
01/04/2010, 05:01 AM
+1 Eshopps.

I have the PSK-75 as well. Mine is an older version (pre-meshwheel) and it is VERY quiet. I was running an Emperor 400 filter along with the Eshopps, and the Emperor was WAY louder then the skimmer! I did change a couple of things with the skimmer shortly after I got it (air intake valve, and changed the bubble trap). Neither of these needed to be changed cause the skimmer worked great out of the box! I did notice it helped make the skimmer a little more forgiving when making adjustments. AWESOME skimmer for the money!!

-RYknow

Patriot54
01/04/2010, 08:20 AM
+1 Eshopps.

I have the PSK-75 as well. Mine is an older version (pre-meshwheel) and it is VERY quiet. I was running an Emperor 400 filter along with the Eshopps, and the Emperor was WAY louder then the skimmer! I did change a couple of things with the skimmer shortly after I got it (air intake valve, and changed the bubble trap). Neither of these needed to be changed cause the skimmer worked great out of the box! I did notice it helped make the skimmer a little more forgiving when making adjustments. AWESOME skimmer for the money!!

-RYknow

is your impeller the needle wheel kind then? Like my pump itself isn't loud, it's just the water that is falling down the intake pipe that is loud. But regardless, the skimmer is amazing

Chiefsurfer
01/04/2010, 12:12 PM
patriot, apparently in searching(and I forgot to come back here and report) I noticed it was not all in one discussion. There are like 3 or 4 different threads with 20+ replies in them regarding the eshopps. 1, is my build thread, another is ryknow's(both 20 talls). You can search for "eshopps" with my username under advanced search, and should come up with a few of the topics I talked about it.

-RYknow
01/04/2010, 04:14 PM
is your impeller the needle wheel kind then? Like my pump itself isn't loud, it's just the water that is falling down the intake pipe that is loud. But regardless, the skimmer is amazing

Yup! Mine is the needle wheel. When you say "the water that is falling down the intake pipe". I'm not sure what you mean. The pump should be pulling the water. It shouldn't have any kind of splashing or anything of that nature on the intake side. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

-RYknow