PDA

View Full Version : brown after shipping, how to get them to color up

GreenReefer77
09/30/2009, 11:37 AM
I traded recently and most of the stuff came in brown except for sunset monti which was nice and bright. I already keep healthy sps in my tank, but I've always purchased them locally so they weren't brown. Any tips? The main ones I'm concerned with are tyree undata, tyree superman monti, and ora plum crazy.

thanks

poidog81
09/30/2009, 11:52 AM
good husbandry, lighting, some time.
The tyree undata is supposed to be brown :), but mine also lost color and is now starting to shapen back up after a few months. They like a lower light, and not to be moved around.

GreenReefer77
09/30/2009, 11:57 AM
the pics I've seen of undata show it as a purply brown around the edges and a light green as the base with white polyps. Right now I have brown with white polyps. Good to know that it's low light though, thanks. I guess i'll be patient

flyyyguy
09/30/2009, 12:07 PM
sps do not turn brown after shipping. That is a ploy/excuse by the person who sold them to cover up photoshopping or simply browned out corals.

They can lose a litle color for sure, especially if a poor ship, but they simply do not brown out overnight

Regardless of that, Just becasue a coral is brown doesnt mean it isnt or cant be a sweet one. As already said, good husbbandry practices and time will get it to color back up in the weeks/months to come.

GreenReefer77
09/30/2009, 12:12 PM
I understood the plum crazy and undata looking brown because that's not far off from the natural color, but the superman looks brown with red/brown polyps. Can't figure that one out, hopefully it will color up eventually.

volcom69
09/30/2009, 06:00 PM
Undata is green with white poylps and a purple ring on the outside, well at least thats what mine looks like. Just give it time, if you say you tank is healthy and colorful, then i say within a couple weeks you should see some color. Corals dont go brown overnight at least non of mine did when shipped.

Shawnbeaulieu
09/30/2009, 06:04 PM
Ive had frags turn brown from bringing them home from the LFS.

GreenReefer77
09/30/2009, 06:23 PM
Undata is green with white poylps and a purple ring on the outside, well at least thats what mine looks like. Just give it time, if you say you tank is healthy and colorful, then i say within a couple weeks you should see some color. Corals dont go brown overnight at least non of mine did when shipped.

How high up or how much light? Any different from superman or sunset placement?

volcom69
09/30/2009, 06:37 PM
My undata is on the bottom of my tank it grew pretty fast for me but slowed down some, my sunset is halfway, and same for the superman. Mine are under T5's! I wouldnt worry about the brown give it a couple of weeks and you will be good.

george albert
09/30/2009, 07:21 PM
i traded with this person i dont photo shop and the corals where not browned out before hand.i have never had this happen before and not real sure why.
I found your comments a bit offensive.I have had gotten browned out corals before from shipping so it can happen.i have done several trades with no complantes about anything. Just wanted to put this out there.
thanks for your time

sps do not turn brown after shipping. That is a ploy/excuse by the person who sold them to cover up photoshopping or simply browned out corals.

They can lose a litle color for sure, especially if a poor ship, but they simply do not brown out overnight

Regardless of that, Just becasue a coral is brown doesnt mean it isnt or cant be a sweet one. As already said, good husbbandry practices and time will get it to color back up in the weeks/months to come.

acrylic_300
09/30/2009, 07:31 PM
I have also took frags right out of another tank and had them brown on the way home.

Sometimes dipping will brown a coral also...so if they were dipped then shipped they would be brown.

More often than not photos have been "Doctored"....especially if it was wysiwyg and the corals were brown to begin with.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, some of my fastest growers were brown. They will eventually color up.

steely185
09/30/2009, 07:33 PM
I've had frags that arrived faded or browned out from shipping. Good lighting and flow will help fix things up. Some take longer than others. I've had a tricolor just start to color up after a couple months of dull brown. Give it time and you should be fine. Now just wish me luck on my two month old red planet :)

greenmonkey51
09/30/2009, 07:36 PM
I can say give the plum crazy plenty of time. No coral has ever been more of a pain than it. I finally did figure it out and the colors are excellent.