PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock and egg crate

kentlighting
09/30/2009, 01:22 PM
I am in the process of setting up a 60 gallon reef ready drilled at the top tank. I having sand as the bed probably a inch or two. when i do my live rock stacking should i have laid down egg crate prior to putting in the sand? My Guess is that this is to distribute and pressure points on the glass caused by the rock.......

thegrun
09/30/2009, 01:28 PM
It is more about keeping the rock from slipping around, the egg crate anchors the rock; the tank bottom will support the weight without egg crate (assuming you don't drop the rock into place!). I personally think it is better to drill and dowel the rockwork together with plastic dowels.

droberts
09/30/2009, 02:22 PM
i set mine on the bottom of the tank then added the sand so my gobies wouldn't dig under the rock and cause the rocks to move or fall

seapug
09/30/2009, 02:41 PM
yes, you should put the eggcrate on the bare bottom then build the aquascape and add sand last so the eggcrate is covered. I suppose you could bury it in existing sand for some additional stability but it will slowly sink and shift over time.

jtrim123
09/30/2009, 04:43 PM
The eggcrate is also used to distribute pressure. Sand will do the same though. Most people only use eggcrate if they are using alot of rock and placing there rock in columns.