PDA

View Full Version : Respiration rate for tang?

vlim13
09/30/2009, 01:28 PM
I purchased a Sailfin Tang about 1 month ago, and he's still in QT. For the most part, he's doing well. I am treating him with Cupramine for ich, and the last 2-3 weeks, he hasn't shown any signs of it.

The weird thing is that he always seems to be breathing really fast. What's the normal rate for a 3-4" tang? I think that he's doing over 100/min, and I haven't seen it go down at any time in the last month.

I gave him a 15 min FW bath upon getting him, and gave him another one 2 weeks ago, thinking that it might have been flukes. Didn't really see anything come off him though. But his breathing rate still seems high.

The only other thing is that when I first got him, he seemed to be getting HLLE. A good diet has helped turned that around, and is almost completely gone. The fish is a little skittish, but otherwise seems healthy. Color is very good.

Anyway, is that breathing rate normal for that size tang? Should I try a longer FW bath, for say, 30 mins?

I have an HOB filter with only sponge media for ciculation, and the over only covers 2/3 of the tank. There are a couple balls of chaeto in there as well. Is it possible that he's oxygen-starved? I didn't want to mask a problem by adding an air pump if there's a possibility of more flukes or other parasites on the gills.

Thanks!