PDA

View Full Version : Handling Anemones

jonnybravo22
09/30/2009, 02:23 PM
How do you do this? Gloves (if so what type)? Bare hands (if so any reactions/stings)?

Can people post what type of nem they have and how they handled it when first putting in tank and if they do anything special when moving things around or cleaning tank because of the nem being there?

chitownclown
09/30/2009, 02:52 PM
I have had several types including carpets, condys, bta's, lta's. Everyone has a differnet reaction to the sting, not so much on you hans but arms. the skin on your hands is pretty tough. The most i have ever got was a carpet wrapped around my hand which is more of a shock then anything. If by any chance you have a reaction to a sting it will mostly look like hives. It is always a good thing to have some ammonia around just in case it gets bad.

jonnybravo22
09/30/2009, 04:50 PM
But you never wore gloves?

chitownclown
09/30/2009, 05:17 PM
Never but to each there own, If you want you could use a pair of clean dish gloves or thin medical gloves without the powder.

Lmecher
09/30/2009, 05:33 PM
If you are allergic to be stings I believe you could have the same reaction. I have btas and mini carpets. As mentioned above, except I will say palms no reaction but sides of fingers (been stung when mini carpet grabbed on) and arms are vulnerable. A bta got my forearm while reaching past it. Stings are unplesant but not too bad, not something I really so I never wear gloves, some do, a personal choice. My tank is deep would need gloves that reach to my shoulder.

Fishy_Clown
10/06/2009, 03:38 PM
at worst you could get a bit ichy after a nem has hung onto you for a while. People that use gloves tend to damage the nem trying to get it off them so I would not advocate gloves. Patience and be gentle, and dont panic if it does give you a 'hug' :)
Cheers
Keith

regina
10/06/2009, 04:37 PM
I handle mine and I agree never had a problem, make sure they are not hungry. just kiddling.

Fishy_Clown
10/06/2009, 04:41 PM
I handle mine and I agree never had a problem, make sure they are not hungry. just kiddling.

LOL - love that :lolspin:

lloydkeller
10/06/2009, 08:56 PM
never had a problem with mine Ive hand fed it several times

syrinx
10/06/2009, 09:27 PM
I was transfering a shipment to display one evening with no problems- as stated the skin on your hands is tough. However when i inadvertantly scratched my eye....was swollen shut in a instant!

davocean
10/06/2009, 11:20 PM
I've handled nems for many years w/out gloves, but will say there was a period during a transfer that I may have been a little rough handling my sebae(h.crispa) and I did get red dots and itchy on the under side of my arm for a while.
There have been some reports on peeps having allergic reactions, but that has been pretty rare from my reading.

jwedll
10/07/2009, 08:19 PM
I have never had a reaction to a nem yet. I know of someone who had some of the goo land on his arm when transferring tanks. It was a Fire Anemone. Left a nasty rash for four days.

Toddrtrex
10/08/2009, 05:02 PM
I would never handle a Haddoni without gloves --- mainly because they are so sticky and with gloves they don't seem to stick at much.

With LTAs and BTAs I just used my bare hands.

tufacody
10/08/2009, 07:32 PM
I've learned to never touch my gig. Not because it gave me a rash, but because I know if it touches me my hand will be in the tank for 20 minutes before it lets go!

UWUALineman
10/08/2009, 08:31 PM
BTA's nothing to worry about handling them with barehands. I handle my Haddoni with gloves and would not risk it without. The storeis are enough to deter me from even trying and they are so sticky that if it was painful it wouldn't be easy pulling him from my hand.

Toddrtrex
10/08/2009, 09:11 PM
BTA's nothing to worry about handling them with barehands. I handle my Haddoni with gloves and would not risk it without. The storeis are enough to deter me from even trying and they are so sticky that if it was painful it wouldn't be easy pulling him from my hand.

Yea, the first couple of times I handled my Haddoni without gloves it took over 5 minutes to get it off my hand. Even tried to lift my hand out of the water and it still hung on.

But, oddly enough if a BTA would brush up against my arm I would get a rash, but my hands were fine.

jonnybravo22
10/08/2009, 11:07 PM
thanks for all the input.

for those that use gloves, what kind? wear them only when you're planning to touch nem or any time you clean in the general area? can these things take you out / do permanent damage? the stinging cells are like jellyfish right?

i'm interested in giganteas - any gig specific experience is also appreciated.