View Full Version : i need a little help with plumbing

09/30/2009, 02:27 PM
hey guys i was wondering what can i use on my return line so that when the power goes (and that happens alot here in puerto rico) my sump doesnt overflow its starting to become a PITA. and by the way my return line is just a long piece of plastic hose that goes from sump to tank,if i can cut a piece and put some sort of valve there wich would it be.

09/30/2009, 02:49 PM
cut off your return pump and add water to the DT untill your sump is full. That way, when the power goes off, you will just be left with a full sump of water.

09/30/2009, 02:57 PM
Can you take a pic of your return on the display side.

09/30/2009, 02:58 PM
The reason that is that the return will reverse siphon until the water reaches the level of the end of the return. You can install a check valve in the return line, or drill a hole a little below the waterline.

09/30/2009, 03:04 PM
Either raise your return line up to a level where the syphon will break before the sump floods or drill a hole like jtrim123 mentioned.

09/30/2009, 06:39 PM
drill a hole wouldnt that disrupt the water going to the dt

09/30/2009, 06:54 PM
it is only a 1/4 inch hole just make sure you drill it so the water will go into your tank or overflow so it is not shooting out every where.
And yes it works that is what i use on 2 return lines on my 240 gal. tank so you should be fine.
Just make sure it is done just below the water line if you do it way under the water it will drain to that point or your overflows which ever is first.