PDA

View Full Version : Glass Tank Broke, Need help with buying Acrylic Tank

newageaudio
09/30/2009, 05:41 PM
My Glass tank just broke. The back just cracked from top to bottom. The tank was 72''x24''x30''deep. I am looking to get a custom tank built and I need some recommendations. I am in NJ so I don't know how much shipping will be or if you can even ship something that size. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

newageaudio
09/30/2009, 05:58 PM
I am a little scared of glass tanks now. The tank was about 225g and the back just cracked. I was sitting in the room and all of a sudden just heard a pop, and saw a big crack across almost the whole back of the tank. So I said I would never buy a glass tank again, but after doing some reading it sounds like glass might be the way to go. Should I get on built or just go to my Local Fish Store and buy on from them?

lmsmith
09/30/2009, 06:02 PM
It could only have broken if there was too much stress on the glass - how thick was it? Use a glass thickness calculator to determine what glass thickness you need, aim for over 3 safety rating (will withstand 3x the force of water) then add braces.

edit: glass thickness safety rating calculator:
http://www.fnzas.org.nz/index.php?PG=glass3

pmrossetti
09/30/2009, 06:05 PM
Do yourself a big favor and get an acrylic. What happened to you happened at 2 of my 4 LFS. They've replaced their tanks with acrylic. More care to clean but MUCH stronger. Your call. :)

Elorian
09/30/2009, 07:54 PM
If you do decide to go acrylic give James at Envision Acrylics a call- he can build and ship any tank that you want and is absolutely top notch to deal with. The web site is http://www.envisionacrylics.com. The build quality is truly stunning (he fabricated two tanks for a client of mine several years ago and I would not hesitate to use him again).

Best of luck!

becact
09/30/2009, 08:15 PM
It was probably due to an uneven stand. A stand even slightly out of true can cause major stress to the glass (or acrylic)

Steve_B
09/30/2009, 09:54 PM
Acrylic is bullet proof, and that's no lie. Bullet proof glass is a misnomer. It's actually acrylic. Of course it has to be thick enough for the type of round you want to stop.
I can’t remember the thickness of my 225, but you have to get it right. They do actually sell them in thinner gauge that will bow. Mine is the thicker option, so no bow in the 2 or 3 years I have owned it. I went with *******. They will make custom tanks as well. This is the 2nd tank I bought from them and they are really great to deal with.
Acrylic will scratch easily, but the scratches are removable. It is clear as well. No tint like glass as it becomes thicker and thicker.
And talk about weight. You don't need a Crain to lift them, like glass. I would say that a sledge hammer couldn't break my tank, even if a sumo wrestler was at bat.
:eek:

becact
09/30/2009, 10:01 PM
An acrylic tank is still susceptible to seam stress, though, and should be on a truly level stand, just like a glass tank.

fishkid6692
09/30/2009, 10:17 PM
send MADtanks a PM. he does great work but i am not sure if he will build a tank of that size. but i would def. try to contact him because he has good prices too.

Lightsluvr
10/01/2009, 03:44 AM
It could only have broken if there was too much stress on the glass - how thick was it? Use a glass thickness calculator to determine what glass thickness you need, aim for over 3 safety rating (will withstand 3x the force of water) then add braces.

edit: glass thickness safety rating calculator:
http://www.fnzas.org.nz/index.php?PG=glass3

I agree with this analysis - the usual suspect is an uneven tank stand, placing pressure on the bottom, which transfers to vertical panes...

This is the reason that a lot of manufacturers limit their warranty if the tank is not used with their stands...

LL

lordofthereef
10/01/2009, 04:49 AM
Before we all jump to conclusions here, I will be the first to ASK... is the stand uneven?

Rennsport
10/01/2009, 07:35 AM
Using the glass thickness calculator, no matter what panel parameters I enter I get a SF of 648 -- ??

glassdude
10/01/2009, 08:30 AM
Acrylic is not bullet proof. It is bullet resistant. My company produces true bulletproof glass and it is made from 13 different thicknesses of laminated glass.

Lightsluvr
10/01/2009, 01:01 PM
Before we all jump to conclusions here, I will be the first to ASK... is the stand uneven?

Folks were offering advice, observations and options... Conclusions must be drawn unless we are standing there watching the tank crack...

I think most were trying to keep him from buying a new tank and putting it on the same stand without checking it...

JMHO

LL

SnowManSnow
10/01/2009, 01:22 PM
my reef creations.

will buy from them again.. great

lmsmith
10/01/2009, 01:32 PM
Using the glass thickness calculator, no matter what panel parameters I enter I get a SF of 648 -- ??

Are you entering in mm or inches? It's in mm.

newageaudio
10/01/2009, 01:32 PM
My stand is level. The only think I can think of maybe their was a sag in the middle. I will post some pictures tonight. I was jumping on it and never felt it move. I have also been reading all your posts and Thanks for all the input. Like I said I am just a litte leary of getting another glass tank. Do you think I will be able to fix the tank also. Pics will be up soon.

newageaudio
10/01/2009, 01:43 PM
The tank stand is built from 2x8 box and 2x4 supports and 4x4 down to the ground. The only thing that could be is there is no support in the middle, that is where the crack was, The back of the tank across the middle. Here are some pics.

Lightsluvr
10/01/2009, 03:04 PM
Assuming that 2x8 hasn't developed a sag in the middle, that stand should support anything you put on it...

You might put a six foot long steel level on there and see if there is a gap and see if there is a visible gap between the level and the plywood...

Good luck.

LL

newageaudio
10/01/2009, 06:03 PM
I will try that and see what I get. I thought that would be strong enough.