PDA

View Full Version : MACNA skimmer lecture

Wildcatreef
09/30/2009, 06:49 PM
I was unable to go to MACNA but I heard there was a lecture comparing skimmer effectiveness and cost. Something about high end skimmers only are about 12% more effective than comparable cheaper ones. I saw a little bit about it on some other thread but I was wondering if someone here could give me a little more info on it. Thanks

Salty92
09/30/2009, 07:06 PM
Well to be honest I believe it just depends on the person. I personally love the octopus skimmers. I have had a bubble king in the past which ran me about $900 and the octopus ran me about $250 and I have found that the octopus skims better. Now I am sure a few are going to read this and disagree but I really think the octopus and truly think that it is the best bang for the buck and performance you just cant beat

Zestay
09/30/2009, 08:37 PM
personally, i think theres a larger list of skimmers that i DONT want. than skimmers i do want.

Wildcatreef
09/30/2009, 09:52 PM
Thanks, I know everyone has their personal preference but I was hoping to find something more scientific to back up a choice between a $500 and $1500 skimmer. If its really only around a 10% difference in the amount of scum a skimmer pulls out, I don't know if an extra $1000 is worth it.

herozero
09/30/2009, 11:05 PM
scientific? you must be new here ;)

there are some people on here who really know their stuff when it comes to skimmer design: air draw from the pump, what shape of the body will match said pump, neck size, height, etc. Some people will swear by needle wheels while others only touch beckett style while others others love spray injection. Personally I would be a little hesitant if someone had "scientific" proof and made very rigid statements on what type of skimmer works best. If that were the case, every manufacturer would have the same design and 90% of the threads on this board would disappear!

Having said that, I love my SWC and hated my AquaC. In the end I guess it is only the results that count. And how many cool toys you have to achieve said results.

cobbobby
10/01/2009, 06:30 AM
My thoughts as well. Anyone who says they have scientific proof that there high end skimmer performs 12% better than a lower end skimmer i'd have to call them a fool.