PDA

View Full Version : Tank leak question

sandrifter
09/30/2009, 06:58 PM
What do you do if your tank leaks beside the obvious drain it. So you get a new tank or attempt to fix the old one?

Stasiu
09/30/2009, 07:11 PM
Being a DIY'er myself, i'd empty it out and reseal it. Scrape away all the silicone from the inside corners with a razor blade, thoroughly wipe away all silicone residue using alcohol. Tape all the edges with painters tape, leaving a 1/8" to 1/4" gap between the tape and the corners. Use an aquarium safe 100% pure silicone. I've personally used GE type I silicone for windows and doors (blue bottle with white writting). Apply the silicone to the corners in an even bead appox 1/4" in diameter, and press the silicone into the corner with one continuous stroke of your finger. Only apply as much silicone as you can finish working with in 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the tape as soon as you finish your last bead, and that's it.

If you're not comfortable with this or you're not 100% happy with your tank at the moment, it's a good excuse to get another!

SATAN FISH
09/30/2009, 07:21 PM
Being a DIY'er myself, i'd empty it out and reseal it. Scrape away all the silicone from the inside corners with a razor blade, thoroughly wipe away all silicone residue using alcohol. Tape all the edges with painters tape, leaving a 1/8" to 1/4" gap between the tape and the corners. Use an aquarium safe 100% pure silicone. I've personally used GE type I silicone for windows and doors (blue bottle with white writting). Apply the silicone to the corners in an even bead appox 1/4" in diameter, and press the silicone into the corner with one continuous stroke of your finger. Only apply as much silicone as you can finish working with in 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the tape as soon as you finish your last bead, and that's it.

If you're not comfortable with this or you're not 100% happy with your tank at the moment, it's a good excuse to get another!

I agree with this. Do not assume you have to go pay an arm and a leg for "aquarium safe" silicone. As long as it is 100% silicone you will be fine. He uses GE, I use Ace hardware brand.

sandrifter
10/02/2009, 06:34 AM
I guess if I try this I only have myself to blame if it leaks again, LOL. The problem I am having is that there is only one manufacturer that I know of that has the dimensions 30"x18"x24" so I would have to go with these guys again and I don't have that warm fuzzy feeling.

fishy125
10/02/2009, 06:51 AM
Does your tank have any kind of warranty? Mine was replaced by perfecto four year old 120 gallon.

sandrifter
10/02/2009, 08:16 AM
Does your tank have any kind of warranty? Mine was replaced by perfecto four year old 120 gallon.

Mine is a perfecto and the warranty says 5 years and it's 4 years old. How did you get your's replaced.

herozero
10/02/2009, 09:23 AM
a cracked tank is as good as dead, replace it and don't mess around, saving your animals and not having water EVERYWHERE is not worth it IMO.