PDA

View Full Version : red cyano

furtado1980
10/01/2009, 07:02 AM
Quick question. for the last couple of months I've noticed some red cyano growing on my powerheads. My rocks and glass are completly fine. My question is this something I should worry about or just let it be as it doesn't seem to spreading. If I where to remove it, what's the safest way to avoid spreading it within the tank

sedor
10/01/2009, 07:06 AM
Cyano although it doesn't hurt anything can overgrow your tank and cause an ugly mess. It doesn't typically grow on powerheads IMO, as it prefers lower flow areas of the tank. Its just another result of growing nutrients in your tank and the best way to combat the stuff is to use a refugium, run GFO, or employ a carbon dosing regiment. If your just noticing a bit of it though, I would just leave it alone. You'll know when its starting to become a PITA.

kzickovich
10/01/2009, 07:28 AM
I would be safe and take it out and give it a vinegar bath

deuce2002
10/01/2009, 07:34 AM
+1 on getting it out it will take over\,also there has to be a reason for you having it water parameters are they ok are you feeding alot?things that need to be none.

GrantMeThePower
10/01/2009, 11:34 AM
cyano on your power heads? that is strange...are you sure it isn't hair algae...