PDA

View Full Version : About "live" water

ctniners
10/01/2009, 08:55 AM
Hi Guys,
Ok, here is a little background, I am moving from an all-in-one jbj 28 gal nano cube to a 75 gal with a 40 gal breeder for a sump.

So, I want to make the move as seamless as possible, I will only move enough sand in my current system to fit in the refuge part of my new sump, the actual display will have all new sand……I have been told by others that have tried doing the same without problems to the water chemistry and livestock…my question relies more in the water part, I have been reading a lot and many people when they go bigger they add their current tank water (in my case it will be about 22 gallons) and then get “live” water from an established aquarium of course to avoid a big spike in the system, now, this established water has live good bacteria of course, for how long or better yet under what conditions does this water has to be kept to keep that bacteria alive?....will the bacteria survive if it is kept in a container for a day?...or does the move have to be made right away?

Sorry to make it long, I have a hard time explaining things in a quick fashion.

Thank you for your inputs.

One more thing......in your experience which is most accurate phosphate test kit, I am using API and is giving me zero but I am sure I have phosphates, my LFS also uses API so I need to get something more reliable, I use salifert for all my other tests, but I was told that salifert phosphate test kit is not as good as their others test kits.

Alex

Billybeau1
10/01/2009, 09:06 AM
API's phosphate kit is pretty much useless for our purposes as it does not read well at low ranges. I have no problems with Saliferts PO<sub>4</sub> kit. I works well for me.

On the move, the bacteria is not in the water. It is in your sand and live rock.

If it were me, I would set the new tank up with all new water and keep the existing tank up until your new tank cycles and your biological filtration is established. You can use some sand from your old set up to seed the new tank.

You will of course need more live rock in the bigger tank to handle the load.

There are other things to consider, but this is a start.

ctniners
10/01/2009, 09:35 AM
You see I wanted to use my current sand but when the system was set up I was told that to make it easier for the initial cycle to order this stuff that when I got it looked like the bottom mud of an established aquarium, this ruin my white sand bottom, little by little I removed some but much of it stayed under and behind the rocks…..and I was told that if I go and try to stir the sand that has not been touched for a while I will create a nitrate bomb because all that has been in the sand for a whole year….is that correct?

Can I clean my sand really good without killing the bacteria in it?

I am also moving to the OOlite fine sand. I dont like the crushed coral type of sand.
Thanks a lot for your advice.

Billybeau1
10/01/2009, 09:46 AM
I doubt taking some sand out of your existing tank is going to do much harm. I would just use a thin layer from the top to seed your new sand. You will not need a lot. I would not try and clean it. This probably defeats the purpose.

It is probably going to take 4 to 8 weeks for your new tank to become established anyways, and you might as well keep everyone happy during that time.

Give it 12 hrs or so, I'm sure others have other ideas.

tmz
10/01/2009, 10:33 AM
Some folks use the old water because it's aged and would be less harsh( fully sissoved. impurites precipitated and/or metabolized) after some time. It won't help your nitrification/denitrification much if at all since as Billy notes the bacteria perfoming these tasks live on/in the substrate and other surfaces. Using new water , allowing the new tank to cycle and age for a couple of weeks and seeding some old sand and/or live rock sounds good to me. Once the new tank has cycled,adjusting the parameters to closely match your existing tank is advisable before moving livestock.

Good Luck.

Toddrtrex
10/01/2009, 02:39 PM
The each time I have moved tanks/upgraded I tried to use as much of my old water as possible --- but not to help cycle or anything like that. I did it because I really didn't feel like making a bunch of new water. Anytime I have upgraded I ended up doing it faster then planned, and didn't have enough new water made.