PDA

View Full Version : Help! Peppermint Shrimp

Too Sweet
10/01/2009, 12:35 PM
I recently got 4 peppermint shrimp to control the sea anenome which is bad for your tank... I don't remember what you call it. Now that they have successfully eating them. I notice the shrimps are on my zoas picking. Is this normal??? I love the shrimps but the zoas more!

Whisperer
10/01/2009, 01:35 PM
Pass them along to someone who has aiptasia infestation. It's hard to find those that like aiptasias.

Too Sweet
10/01/2009, 03:01 PM
The saltwater tank owners on this island is maybe 10 and thats pushing it. Any other suggestions? Are they cleaning or eating the zoas?

mykdf
10/01/2009, 03:07 PM
They are likely eating your zoas. Mine were eating the worms growing on my live rock. Now, I just make sure they are fat and happy to keep them off of the good stuff. To do this, I'll put a silverside in my tongs and let the peppermints munch on that for a while. I do this maybe every other day.
I thought about getting rid of them but as soon as that thought entered my mind, I got more aptasia. Now, I cycle them through the DT and the sump (using the 'ol bottle trap to catch 'em).

Madratter
10/01/2009, 03:13 PM
Some will go postal on the zoas and other stuff. Once it finished off your aptasia, it probably got kind of hungry and lacking other food decided to take matters into its own claws.

You can try feeding it other food to make it less hungry. Mine readily takes shrimp.

If that doesn't fix the problem, your going to have to get it out.

That is assuming that it is actually eating the zoas and not just picking at stuff between the polyps.

Zebodog
10/01/2009, 06:21 PM
The saltwater tank owners on this island is maybe 10 and thats pushing it.

Living in the Virgin Islands, you are in the envious position of having the real deal in your backyard.

Some will go postal on the zoas and other stuff. Once it finished off your aptasia, it probably got kind of hungry and lacking other food decided to take matters into its own claws.

You can try feeding it other food to make it less hungry. Mine readily takes shrimp.

If that doesn't fix the problem, your going to have to get it out.

That is assuming that it is actually eating the zoas and not just picking at stuff between the polyps.

+1

Colonial Anemones and Aiptasia Anemones are close enough for most peppermints when they're hungry. As soon as they get a taste of the zoas, you can bet they'll be on the menu. Keep them fed, and you should be okay.

kevantheman35
10/01/2009, 06:23 PM
mine never touched aptasia but ate every feather duster in my tank and ruined several zoa colonies while "cleaning" them

sedor
10/01/2009, 06:32 PM
Lucky...mine don't eat my zoas or my aiptasia :)

DC_40gallon
10/01/2009, 06:36 PM
Mine is a doll. He eats aptasia only when I blast them with Aptasia Control. He cleans the shells of my snails and hermit crabs and he is so personable that all I have to do is stick my hand in the tank and he will trot over and climb my fingers and arm.

I got lucky with my peppermint but I won't be buying another one. I've heard too many stories about them either being a great asset to aptasia or none at all. Use Aptasia Control, that stuff is unreal and it's instant killer to aptasia!

blazing
10/01/2009, 07:35 PM
if u have a sump u can try putting them in there until u need them again.

Cozmo4
10/01/2009, 07:36 PM
The saltwater tank owners on this island is maybe 10 and thats pushing it. Any other suggestions?

Shrimp cocktail? Scampi? :eek1:

Too Sweet
10/02/2009, 12:36 AM
Thanks to everyone who replied. I will keep them feed and see how well they do if they continue... off to the sump they go!