PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use one of these for their tank return?

pmrossetti
10/01/2009, 06:11 PM
http://marinedepot.com/U_Tube_with_Directional_Return_3_4_inch_1_inch_Returns_Plumbing_Parts-Spears-FT0001-FIFTRP-FT0011-vi.html

What do you think?

hovhanh
10/01/2009, 06:18 PM
I have two of these off of my scdw. I have no complaints with mines. You should be able to find them at any LFS.

I drilled a tiny hole in each a tad below the water line to prevent back-siphoning if the power were to go out. :)

pmrossetti
10/01/2009, 06:24 PM
How many inches under the water do they go? Thanks

jp634
10/01/2009, 06:31 PM
under water far enough to get some water movement on top of the water drill a small hole just below the water level in the tank then it will not back siphon on you i use one on each of my returns to the tank

lordofthereef
10/01/2009, 06:46 PM
I believe that specific one will go under water about an inch. I don't have that specific product, but I use something like that that I built from pvc parts that serves the same purpose. If you have any pvc parts lying around, I would just make it. You could probably even buy the parts and come off cheaper or about the same and have leftovers for more if you wanted.

Emoney
10/01/2009, 06:55 PM
under water far enough to get some water movement on top of the water drill a small hole just below the water level in the tank then it will not back siphon on you i use one on each of my returns to the tank

+1 and clean the little hole regularly as it will clog and not break siphon!