PDA

View Full Version : Howdo i catch my maroon clownfish?

luvreefs23
10/01/2009, 08:37 PM
I have a 250 marineland and by maroon is driving me nuts by kicking sand up constantly, tanks is rarely clear. The rbta he has will not stop moving in the tank for close to 2 months now. I want them both out, fish trap i have sux...should i try to catch him at nite when the anenome is east to get to and net the clown out while hes engulfed in the anenome, try another trap, put the anenome in a critter cage to try and get him to go in and close the critter door? Anyone else have had a similar situation and what did u do?

Thanks
dennis

jeffroberts1
10/01/2009, 09:00 PM
use your trap with good food in it, but leave the trap in tank for a day or two!

Frogmanx82
10/01/2009, 11:29 PM
I had success with the feed and scoop method. Feed something delicious they can't resist, and when they come to the top. SWOOP with the net. I had a maroon clown I caught about 4 weeks ago. It took about a week. You have to be careful, once spooked, they won't come out even for food. You have to be sure your SWOOP is a clear shot of them at the surface.

I heard all the warnings about the spines on their gills, but I didn't have an issue with mine and using something other than a net isn't going to work.

anemone123
10/02/2009, 07:34 AM
I agree with Frogmanx82. I start putting the net in right before I feed. I then start feeding closer and closer to the net. With a large net I have had several fish that will eat inside the net after a week or two. This requires patience but it takes the least amount of work.

rdlisby
10/02/2009, 10:29 AM
I tore my 180 apart, figured it was a good chance to redo my aquascape. Now I wont put a fish in unless I'm fully commited. :)

iceman79
10/02/2009, 12:57 PM
+1 i just take all my rock out but i only have a 72 gallon tank

Frogmanx82
10/02/2009, 01:15 PM
My method is different than anemone's. He is getting the fish used to the net, my method is a surprise attack when they are at the surface feeding. That method will work, but you have to be committed to it for a couple weeks and some fish won't go near the net no matter what. Seems like they know it when you're after them.

Been_There8
10/02/2009, 02:21 PM
When my two clownfish sleep at night, they float up to the top of the water, its like they arent even alive even though they are moving, its when i can catch my clowns, but a damsel, that guy likes to hide inside of rocks when its night time.

1DeR9_3Hy
10/02/2009, 03:30 PM
When i have to catch a fish, i put the net in the tank for a week or two and let the fish get used to it. The last fish i caught (pseudochromis...btw...its a FAST little rascal) was actually going into the net to scavenge food during feeding times. That made everything a whole lot easier...all i had to do was put some food in the net and wait lol.