PDA

View Full Version : i'm filling my tank for the first time.....

Blownsvt
10/01/2009, 10:52 PM
i have my 125 about 1.4 of the way full with saltwater right now. clearly not done yet but i have a question. My live sand was not supposed to arrive until tomorrow but it got here a day early and i got it this morning. Do i need to put the sand in now even though the tank isn't full in order to keep it "alive" or should i just wait until its full? my concern is having live sand out of real water for several days. At the rate my RO unit is producing water i won't have enough to fill the tank till at least saturday night i am guessing.

Playa-1
10/01/2009, 11:36 PM
Where did the live sand come from?

Stasiu
10/01/2009, 11:54 PM
As long as the live sand remains saturated with water I believe the bacteria in it will stay alive for some days.

Blownsvt
10/02/2009, 12:14 AM
Where did the live sand come from?

i ordered it through foster&Smith. it is the carribean live sand. it actually says on the package to put it into the tank while it is empty and then add the water. too late for that.

PRDubois
10/02/2009, 12:19 AM
Is sand in bags that have some water in them? Stores keep it for weeks.

Blownsvt
10/02/2009, 01:27 AM
Is sand in bags that have some water in them? Stores keep it for weeks.

there wasn't much water in them. sand was a little pasty at best. I put it in the tank. water is all cloudy now but maybe it will settle by morning. Then i can finish filling the rest up. i have maybe 55gallons in there now.

PRDubois
10/02/2009, 01:30 AM
Just let your water mix for 24 hours before you add. If you have a HOB filter or a canister filter it is a good time to use to clear the cloudy water.