PDA

View Full Version : Retrofit Lighting Question

Steve71175
10/02/2009, 12:29 PM
I'm setting up a 40 gallon tank and I plan to keep a pair of clowns and a host anemone (including live rock and cleaning crew). I have an existing hood that I plan to retrofit with an IceCap 36" VHO kit (3 lamps). I've previously only kept smaller freshwater tanks with fluorescent hoods that simply sit on top of the tank. I've never used this type of light setup before and my concern is that the tank water is in such close proximity to the bulbs and any electrical hazards that may be associated. There will be approximately 5 inches between the bulbs and the tank water. Should I use a glass cover on my tank? Also, do you think this type of setup would require a fan?

Steve71175
10/02/2009, 03:39 PM
Bump.

wab
10/02/2009, 03:51 PM
hi,You dont have to worry about the closeness of the light but it should be enclosed because of the salt and moisture. The lights and pumps should all be plugged into ground fault outlets too protect you and yes if the light puts out alot of heat then a fan should be used. good luck

Steve71175
10/02/2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the response!

lordofthereef
10/02/2009, 06:21 PM
As far as electrical is concerned if you use safe for water endcaps you should be fine. Plenty of people go open top with lighting like that. As mentioned above you do want to be careful with salt spray. I know people with florescent lights that simply wipe off their lights weekly, though.

Steve71175
10/02/2009, 06:46 PM
As far as electrical is concerned if you use safe for water endcaps you should be fine. Plenty of people go open top with lighting like that. As mentioned above you do want to be careful with salt spray. I know people with florescent lights that simply wipe off their lights weekly, though.

Thanks for the response. Is their any disadvantage to simply going with a glass top under the hood?

MrBunny
10/02/2009, 07:35 PM
I believe if the glass top is right on top of the tank you will loose your gas exchange? What that really means I couldn't tell you but I just know it something should be avoid if at all possible.

lordofthereef
10/03/2009, 03:44 AM
There is a gas exchange disadvantage but, there really really is very little gas exchange at the surface like that. Most of your gas exchange will occur in your sump, more specifically your skimmer. If you don't have a skimmer, then I wouldn't recommend reducing your gas exchange in this way since it is limited. Adding a glass top can also increase your temperatures, which is more what I would be worried about. Heat is not able to escape in the form of evaporation, and even though T5s aren't as hot as halides, they still will add warmth to the tank. To some degree, you will also reduce the light getting into your tank as some of it will be reflected back or absorbed.