PDA

View Full Version : Trio of Multi Colored Angels

michael_cb_125
10/02/2009, 07:50 PM
Who got them from the DD?

Did anyone save any pictures? or the page?

Nice little fish, I have never seen a trio for sale anywhere.

~Michael

melanotaenia
10/02/2009, 07:53 PM
was it really a trio or just three multi-colored that happen to be caught in the same dive or in the same location?

What was the price for the trio? I missed them on DD too.

flameangel88
10/02/2009, 07:58 PM
Here's the Multicolor trio from DD

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/MulticolorAngelTrioDD100209.jpg

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/itemdisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=72547

rgentry123
10/02/2009, 09:14 PM
sweet trio. would have loved them.

650-IS350
10/02/2009, 09:16 PM
That looks sweet....

Recty
10/02/2009, 09:51 PM
Who got them from the DD?

Did anyone save any pictures? or the page?

Nice little fish, I have never seen a trio for sale anywhere.

~MichaelAre you signed up to receive the Diver's Den alerts? Or how did you know they were posted?

fishkid6692
10/02/2009, 09:53 PM
they went for 300. wish i had a tank for them. beautiful fish!

AuroraDrvr
10/02/2009, 09:53 PM
Pricewise, that is a smoking deal.

pookstreet
10/02/2009, 10:17 PM
was it really a trio or just three multi-colored that happen to be caught in the same dive or in the same location?

I had the same question. Were these three a true trio or just 3 fish that just seemed to co-exist together? Although it's a pretty amazing shot to get all 3 in the same frame :)

melanotaenia
10/02/2009, 10:21 PM
I have been seeing more and more of these pairs and trios that DD is advertising, and can only wonder if they are true pairs/trios or simply two fish caught on the same dive or shipped as pairs to LA.

Either way, great trio of fish for whoever picked them up. I hope they really do act as a trio and don't beat up one another.

LobsterOfJustice
10/02/2009, 10:23 PM
Personally I think a lot of the groups they list for sale are just two or more fish put together. Most of the time all the fish aren't even in the same frame. I would have bought them for $300 though, that's a volume discount! And I've got a big ol' multicolor I'm looking to set up a pair/harem with in my new 180.

flameangel88
10/02/2009, 10:29 PM
I would have to trust that this is a true trio otherwise they are relentless on chase/nip.

I don't know for sure but the one on the bottom right appears to be emerging as the male. If I'm wrong please don't :uzi: me. :)

Cantonesefish
10/02/2009, 11:00 PM
They are all very small (^2") and should be getting along, I think it time they will form a true trio

Kinetic
10/03/2009, 12:29 AM
awesome someone got the picture. I looked for them too to at least look at. $300 was a very good price for them.

jmaneyapanda
10/03/2009, 06:57 AM
Animals that are collected as pairs or groups are usually referred to as "harvested pairs", or "harvested trios", etc. I am guessing these fish were grouped in Wisconsin, and are compatible. Trio, just means 3, not 1 male and two females, or otherwise.

DFS
10/03/2009, 07:29 AM
This beautiful trio of Centropyge multicolor are very young juvenile fishes approximately 2” in length, and still have the occelli on the dorsal fin, which they will lose as the fish mature. These Marshall Island endemics were placed together immediately after we obtained them 6 weeks ago, and have already grown a bit, cohabitating well with one another. One of the three has grown slightly larger than the others and will most likely be the fish that will metamorphous into a male as flameangel88 has pointed out.

As some of you may know, these fishes are protogynous hermaphrodites, and males result from female sex change. By far the best way to produce a harem or male and female pair of Centropyge Angelfish is to do this with juvenile fishes.

It’s really fascinating to see this progression in the home aquarium, and it’s not every day that we have an opportunity such as this to bond up and pair these fishes.

Cheers!

mpoletti
10/03/2009, 07:41 AM
Very cool Kevin, They are definitely of my favorite species of fish. The best thing I have done for my tank is when I paired up the joc I got from you. Its very enjoyable to watch them interact and respond with each other. Maybe I need a third :p

Vili_Shark
10/03/2009, 07:53 AM
Well,
Thats another way of selling 3 Juvenile Centropyge spp.

Gwynhidwy
10/03/2009, 08:35 AM
Well,
Thats another way of selling 3 Juvenile Centropyge spp.

I would say its a great way. A lot of people are interested in keeping Centropyge groups, but not everyone is comfortable attempting to find compatible fish. DD has done that for you here and I think that's great.

michael_cb_125
10/03/2009, 08:38 AM
Very nice fish ;)

~Michael

Vili_Shark
10/03/2009, 08:39 AM
I would say its a great way. A lot of people are interested in keeping Centropyge groups, but not everyone is comfortable attempting to find compatible fish. DD has done that for you here and I think that's great.

Its not a trio, its 3 specimens.

You can do it with any juvenile Centropyge spp. and call them a trio.

Gwynhidwy
10/03/2009, 08:44 AM
Its not a trio, its 3 specimens.

You can do it with any juvenile Centropyge spp. and call them a trio.

They never said they were spawning, so they are a trio, just not a mated trio. I have paired and grouped several species of Centropyge and you can't always just throw three small ones together and have it work that easily. Sometimes there is a fair amount of fighting and fish need to be separated for a bit and on one occasion I got a fish that while still quite small, was very aggressive and not suitable for aquarium pairing in my opinion. If you want a group of Centropyge, but don't want to worry about having to deal with that kind of thing, then this is a good way to go.

michael_cb_125
10/03/2009, 08:44 AM
3 specimens = a trio

just as

Two specimens = duo

~Michael

Vili_Shark
10/03/2009, 08:56 AM
3 specimens = a trio

just as

Two specimens = duo

~Michael

Since I can count till 4 I already know that.

But you should know exactly what I meant.

Offering them as trio made people think that they were collected this way.

This size of Juvenile C.multicolor is being imported to LAX from Marshall isl. hundreds specimens per week.

These fish are juvenile and obviously were grouped by the seller.
Any shop can do that and sell them as a trio.

You can also take larger and smaller Clown fish and sell them as pair
Maroon Clown Pair
Pair means 2 right?

But then you can always get away with it, cause they are not "Mated pair" right?

michael_cb_125
10/03/2009, 09:00 AM
If they were labeled as a Collected trio, or spawning trio, I would see your point. But since they were only labeled as a trio, I see no issue. It is not like Kevin, marked up the individual price of these fish since they were labeled as a trio.

~Michael

SDguy
10/03/2009, 09:01 AM
Offering them as trio made people think that they were collected this way.

That's a big assumption.

You have to keep in mind that your average aquarist doesn't have access to multiple specimens, never mind the ability, inclination, or facilities to try and pair/group fish together that may very well NOT get along. Having LA do it for me is a nice luxury that I'd even be willing to pay for (though at $300 it's already a steal).

Vili_Shark
10/03/2009, 09:03 AM
If they were labeled as a Collected trio, or spawning trio, I would see your point. But since they were only labeled as a trio, I see no issue. It is not like Kevin, marked up the individual price of these fish since they were labeled as a trio.

~Michael

No point to continue with this.

i think its miss leading and you obviously think not.

When thermes like you've mentioned,"collected trio" , "spawning trio" and also "mated pairs" getting into the hobby it means somebody got burned before with the previous terms we used to see.

flameangel88
10/03/2009, 09:04 AM
The way I look at it is if you put two together and the fighting/chasing is constant one must be taken out then you wouldn't have a duo/pair and the same goes for three. Imo it's fair to say this is a trio.

I also agree with Gwynhidwy very much that it's not easy to pair or form harem and does require a lot of time and work. In this case LA been monitoring them for 6 weeks and the buyer can put all three in the same tank with confidence is a huge plus. I thought the price was very fair and the lowest price of a individual I've seen on DD was around $75-80 back in the summer of 2006. I actually had this trio in the cart but was poking around to see what else I want and by the time I went to check out it disappeared from the cart. I was disappointed but congrat to the new owner and hope he/she will post pictures and their progress.

Vili_Shark
10/03/2009, 09:10 AM
The way I look at it is if you put two together and the fighting/chasing is constant one must be taken out then you wouldn't have a duo/pair and the same goes for three. Imo it's fair to say this is a trio.

I also agree with Gwynhidwy very much that it's not easy to pair or form harem and does require a lot of time and work. In this case LA been monitoring them for 6 weeks and the buyer can put all three in the same tank with confidence is a huge plus. I thought the price was very fair and the lowest price of a individual I've seen on DD was around $75-80 back in the summer of 2006. I actually had this trio in the cart but was poking around to see what else I want and by the time I went to check out it disappeared from the cart. I was disappointed but congrat to the new owner and hope he/she will post pictures and their progress.

Sorry I do not agree with you.

You put 3 specimens of most Centropyge spp. of that size together and in 90% of the cases you'll have success.

michael_cb_125
10/03/2009, 09:11 AM
I was sitting at the Bar at The Melting Pot sipping on some nice Patron when I got the DD Update. I think that these little fish were a nice 21st B-Day present to myself, no?

~Michael

Gwynhidwy
10/03/2009, 09:13 AM
I was sitting at the Bar at The Melting Pot sipping on some nice Patron when I got the DD Update. I think that these little fish were a nice 21st B-Day present to myself, no?

~Michael

Definitely! I think I want you to pick out my birthday presents too. :D

michael_cb_125
10/03/2009, 09:14 AM
For me I wanted either a pair or harem of multicolored angels. Whether I had to buy them as individuals or as a group, did not matter to me. The fact that they were offered as a group only made it easier on me. Plus the price was right.

BTW, I asked the original question as I did not get to see the picture of them with my phone.

~Michael

flameangel88
10/03/2009, 09:23 AM
Sorry I do not agree with you.

You put 3 specimens of most Centropyge spp. of that size together and in 90% of the cases you'll have success.

It's okay that we don't agree with everyone all the time and I'm still learning by trial & error

Now I can't help it to ask the 'extreme question' since you put up the percentage--if you were to jump off a roof with 90% survival rate would you jump knowing you will have 10% not making it? For this extreme question you can :blown: me up. No hard feelings here I hope. :hammer:

LuvAngels88
10/03/2009, 09:25 AM
You have to keep in mind that your average aquarist doesn't have access to multiple specimens, never mind the ability, inclination, or facilities to try and pair/group fish together that may very well NOT get along. Having LA do it for me is a nice luxury that I'd even be willing to pay for (though at $300 it's already a steal).

Completely agree! I hope we will see more pair/trio Centropyge offerings from DD.

Congrats, Michael, what a great BD present!:celeb1:

Outerbank
10/03/2009, 09:34 AM
I like that DD offers pairs, trios, etc. It is not easy to find, at the same time, 2-3 healthy fish locally or through the internet that will get along. I bought a pair of flamehawks from DD about 2 months ago and they are doing great. LA does a fantastic job and I will continue to support them whenever I can. This trio is stunning!! Congratulations to whoever bought the trio.

flameangel88
10/03/2009, 09:36 AM
Michael, Congrat & Happy B-D! Glad you got them and look forward to seeing pictures and progress.

:fish1: :fish1: :fish1:

DFS
10/03/2009, 09:36 AM
It's gratifying that some appreciate the amount of effort and hard work we put into the fishes offered in the Divers Den. Just to clarify, these fishes are imported from the Marshalls, but range from Palau, to the Gilbert and Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Fiji, Cooks and Society Islands, and most recently Tonga.

Cheers,

michael_cb_125
10/03/2009, 09:38 AM
Pictures will come.... hopefully. :) You know how bad I am about posting pictures. ;)

~Michael

michael_cb_125
10/03/2009, 09:39 AM
Thanks for making these available to us Kevin. I am glad I was lucky enough to snag them

~Michael

flameangel88
10/03/2009, 09:42 AM
Pictures will come.... hopefully. :) You know how bad I am about posting pictures. ;)

~Michael

I know, post progress first then pictures after they settled in.

Vili_Shark
10/03/2009, 09:45 AM
It's okay that we don't agree with everyone all the time and I'm still learning by trial & error

Now I can't help it to ask the 'extreme question' since you put up the percentage--if you were to jump off a roof with 90% survival rate would you jump knowing you will have 10% not making it? For this extreme question you can :blown: me up. No hard feelings here I hope. :hammer:

No no hard feelings.

All the time I tried to form a harem it went well, I said 90% to be on the safe side, actually it was 100% of what I personally tried, I've tried:
C.loricula , C.flavissima, C.joculator, C.acantops, C.argi , C.fisheri and probably a couple more that I dont remember right now.

I say on the safe side, cause I've experienced some fish that will grow to be the male showing some agression at some point towards the females, IME, this was never an issue, hence the 90%. :twitch:

Baisclly you can fail only if the fish are larger, at the size in that pic, no chance to fail unless they die.