PDA

View Full Version : How Often do you Feed??

galaxyfe
10/03/2009, 01:18 PM
So we're up to 5 fish; two clowns, yellow tang, sweet lips, and a small dragonette (and other various critters...crabs, snails, shrimp) and wondering how often I should be feeding??

Have been doing one cube of the frozen brine shrimp every other day, but don't know if this will continue to be enough. What do you guys think? Should I do a cube every day?

DC_40gallon
10/03/2009, 01:25 PM
I have a 40 breeder with only the goby for right now and he gets fed every other day and only a 1/4 of a cube is used and he eats a bit and the snails, hermits and polyps devour the rest.

username in use
10/03/2009, 01:41 PM
wow, you feed a 1/4 cube to one goby? I have a 40breeder with an occelaris, a starry blenny, bangaii cardinal and a rainfords goby and only feed a 1/4 cube once a day and the snails and shrimp still get some.

lordofthereef
10/03/2009, 01:45 PM
I have DIY food but I feed the equivalent of about 1/2 cube every other day or so to two clowns and a biclor blenny. I am sure feedings will change when I get the big guy running again.

DC_40gallon
10/03/2009, 01:47 PM
weird, yup I feed about a 1/4 every other day (your feeding daily).

username in use
10/03/2009, 01:50 PM
i know your feeding every other day, but its still only one little fish. As for time between, your fish end up much healthier if they eat a little less, a little more often. So I would be hesitant to do every other day, I view once a day as a minimum, a lot of times I will throw a pinch of pellets in early in the day to supplement. They can survive on every other day, but remember, there is a difference between survive and thrive.

Playa-1
10/03/2009, 04:33 PM
I don't think a diet of brine only is healthy especially for the Tang. You should look up your livestock individually and see what they need to thrive. I suggest that you feed daily and use a variety of different foods when you feed. A good way to measure how much to feed is to put just enough food in that the livestock can handle in a few minutes. If they eat it all in a minute then you're likely underfeeding. If on the other hand their is still uneaten food in the tank after say 3 to 4 minutes then you're likely overfeeding and should adjust your feeding habits. You may have to make special adjustments for more timid animals.

How long has this tank been set up and how are you feeding the small dragonette?

agreeive?fish
10/03/2009, 05:29 PM
i feed several small feedings a day with a multidue of diffrent foods and i dont measure out anything, its just what i grab to feed at that feeding, frozen,flakes,pelets, and home made fresh seafood and nori(seaweeds) and all the above mentioned forms of foods have various types (flavors/ingredients ect).. some days i feed more often and less at each feeding, some days i feed less often and more food per feeding, some days i just feed less food and some days i just feed more food. its totaly random what i feed the number of feedings or the amount of feedings kinda like in the wild some days they eat very well and some days they just eat good. infact some days ill ask one of my kids which food to feed this time, some days ill draw the name of the food out of a hat and some days ill flip a coin

rbnice1
10/03/2009, 05:56 PM
Depends on the tank. My main tank(155gallon) gets a little rods every other day, a little small pellet on the off days and a small amount of nori every 3 days or so.

My kids 30 bow front gets a little rods every 3-4 days.

Oh forgot the rods gets soaked in Selcon once a week.

TitanTV
10/03/2009, 06:27 PM
Hmmm.. i have a baby trigger and I am feeding him 2-3 times a day and he is eating quite a bit. Either a whole clam, a chuck of shrimp or octopus (he doesn't like the octopus as much but its way less messy so he gets it at least 1 meal a day) He allways cleans his plate and has a fat belly.

Korrine
10/03/2009, 06:57 PM
I feed every other day. Going to step it up to every day. Sometimes Formula 1 pellet sometimes frozen marine cuisine. Nori for the angel to nip every once in awhile.

Have 1 perc clown, 1 yasha goby, potter's angel, and hopefullly can add the melanurus wrasse to the tank soon too.

ERICinFL
10/03/2009, 07:25 PM
I have a large, GSM Clown, a Regal, a Yellow and a Kole tang, a Mandarin Goby and a Royal Gramma. I give em' a decent pinch of flake food everyday. I'll clip some Sea Veggies in the tank a few times a month and once a week, I'll swap feeding flake food for frozen.

zooty
10/03/2009, 07:41 PM
Twice a day.

Fish normally eat constantly, I see no point in starving them by feeding them every couple days

galaxyfe
10/03/2009, 08:02 PM
How long has this tank been set up and how are you feeding the small dragonette?

tank has been set up for a couple months now. The Dragonette was just introduced to the tank last night, so we're monitoring her. My local guy made the recommendation of this bottle of tiny little live things for it to eat out of the rocks if we notice her not taking anything else.

Playa-1
10/03/2009, 08:26 PM
Just so you know it's very common for the lil Dragonettes to starve to death in a new tank. A well populated fuge and a well established tank would be much more suitable for her. I hope you get lucky and you have found one that will take prepared food.

galaxyfe
10/03/2009, 09:09 PM
What's a fuge?? And I'll take any suggestions on how to make the best for her...thanks!!

And what kind of flakes are you guys using...like the Tetramin tropical flakes you get a the pet store or something??

seapug
10/03/2009, 09:16 PM
It really depends on the tank. As long as your fish are not bloated or emaciated, you're doing what works.

I feed every other day, but I use a very rich mixture of rod's food and PE Mysis with cyclopeez, Coral Frenzy and other goodies randomly mixed in from time to time. I'll also put some sea veggies on an algae clip on the in between days a couple times a week. The tang, angel and blenny really like it. This works fine for my fish-- all are very healthy, but might not work for a different tank.

Playa-1
10/03/2009, 09:22 PM
Refugium = fuge
It's an extra tank or compartment attached to the main tank or sump. It's a refuge from predation to allow creatures to thrive without being hunted. A fuge can have many different purposes but in this case the purpose would be to encourage pods to thrive in the fuge and hopefully provide a food source for the dragonette. The only thing is that this doesn't happen overnight and time is not on your side.

Salamander
10/03/2009, 11:43 PM
Man.... I feed several times a day. I feed a cube (different each day) plus a good bit of nori (cut up into small pieces), some flakes and some pellets every day. I feed 3-5 times a day whenever I'm walking by the tank. Food is generally soaked in Selcon and/or Vitachem. Homemade frozen is used when I'm feeling industrious

120g + 40 fuge ( have to state that now that its not listed below)
Fish:
2 false percs
1 yellow tang
1 blue tang
2 pj cardinals
1 orchid dotty back
1 sailfin blenny

terri_ann
10/04/2009, 01:22 AM
Wow! When will LFS wise up and quit selling Mandarins to people with new tanks, no experience and little education? It is SO Heart-Wrenching!

Playa-1 is right on with feedings and about the Mandarin. Those little critters are probably pods (I hope) and that's what the Mandarins' eat. I would also like to suggest that you keep buying pods (it will be very expensive) to ensure he/she doesn't starve. He/she may eat mysis shrimp (frozen...but thaw and rinse with RO/DI water before placing in your tank for water quality purpose) over time so you can try that as a supplement to the pods. Your clowns, etc will also eat the mysis. Your tang will want to graze on algae/nori as that is what Tangs do :-)

Korrine
10/04/2009, 08:23 AM
I feed every other day. Going to step it up to every day. Sometimes Formula 1 pellet sometimes frozen marine cuisine. Nori for the angel to nip every once in awhile.

Have 1 perc clown, 1 yasha goby, potter's angel, and hopefullly can add the melanurus wrasse to the tank soon too.

Am going to add PE Mysis, Hikari Mega Marine Algae, and Formula 2 frozen food to my arsenal of food.

ERICinFL
10/04/2009, 12:03 PM
tank has been set up for a couple months now. The Dragonette was just introduced to the tank last night, so we're monitoring her. My local guy made the recommendation of this bottle of tiny little live things for it to eat out of the rocks if we notice her not taking anything else.

I'm not trying to sound like an ***hole, but this is a perfect example why you should always research something before you buy it. Fish, coral, whatever. Most LFS don't take the time to ask about your tank, before they sell you something. Whether it's lack of knowledge from the employee, laziness, greed, etc., do your homework. Your livestock will be happier and so will you and your wallet.

stanlalee
10/04/2009, 12:06 PM
30g/10g sump, 3 fish (false perc, sixline and royal gramma). feed the fish every other day. I grade a millimeter or two off the end of cube (maybe a 10th of a cube total. a cube last me forever). I usually combine mysis, mussels or krill (still 1/10th a cube total) and when I'm lazy I ration 5 pellets, small size, of formula 2 per fish instead. Oh almost forgot that also feeds the two small clowns in my biocube 14. I'm not too concerned with alot of feeding, these fish feed off the land and are well past the year mark of being there except one. I feed the corals amino's, coral accel and oyster feast so I cant use up all processing capacity on the fish.

galaxyfe
10/06/2009, 09:29 AM
So I got a bottle of pods added for the little guy...well, what the clowns didn't eat on the way in:)

is there a way to tell if they made it? Can't really find any. Any general suggestions on when I should add more??

Pawky
10/06/2009, 09:41 AM
I feed pellets every day and a cube of brine once a week.