PDA

View Full Version : how to keep a mag 7 quiet

jacksonpt
10/03/2009, 05:20 PM
I'm going to be replacing a few powerheads with a mag 7 tomorrow. Due to space constraints, I have to place it on its side. That means it won't sit nice and flat, so I'm assuming it will vibrate against the tank.

Any suggestions on how to keep it quiet? I thought about surrounding it with some filter foam or something similar, but didn't know if that would cause problems down the road with my water chemistry.

gonorth16
10/03/2009, 06:09 PM
I had one wrapped in filter floss and it worked. The only thing is I had to change it regularly. hope it helps, Peter

danreefs
10/03/2009, 07:53 PM
replace it with a Quietone:fun2:

Zestay
10/03/2009, 09:21 PM
or replace with ehiem

Snookster
10/03/2009, 09:25 PM
unplug it.

I had one, the hum drove me crazy. Currently have a quiet one and it's like night and day.

upster
10/04/2009, 01:04 PM
I have mine sitting on some poly tubing. Also, make sure there is soft tubing coming from the pump before it attaches to your outlet pipes. If the hard pvc is directly attached this can cause extra noise.

jacksonpt
10/04/2009, 01:28 PM
Ah, good thought on the flex hose - thanks!

Doahh
10/04/2009, 04:18 PM
It will sit nice and flat if you pop off the plate on the bottom... it will attach on any side.
but they are noisy pumps.

ROLLINS240Z
10/04/2009, 06:01 PM
I use "Silicone" oven kitchen pads, and zip tie them to my mag pumps. They are $1 each at the dollar store, reef safe and last forever.

z3r0ko0l
10/04/2009, 06:05 PM
I use "Silicone" oven kitchen pads, and zip tie them to my mag pumps. They are $1 each at the dollar store, reef safe and last forever.

I was told to do this samething, if my mag 5 & 9 made to much excess noise. I got lucky and so far they are dead silent. I bought em, just have em on hand just incase.

Patroclus
10/08/2009, 01:30 PM
I have mine sitting on a zip lock bag of sand. I also run flex tubing out of the outlet. Much quieter after those two changes. Although I will admit that this pump is getting replaced by an eheim once it pukes.

der_wille_zur_macht
10/08/2009, 01:54 PM
I have mine sitting on a zip lock bag of sand.

My favorite method. It's cheap, easy, effective, and you know it won't hurt your tank at all.

unhpian
10/08/2009, 01:55 PM
I have a QuietOne 4000 on a closed loop that is anything but quiet - so far my solution has been:

1) Wrap pump in an old t-shirt and place in the bottom of a styrofoam container (I used the shipping containers from Liveaquaria.com).

2) completely entomb pump with expanding spray foam

That made it much quieter, but It was still loud enough that it was bothering me...so I moved on to...

3) Place entombed pump w/ styrofoam container into a slightly larger container (I used a small rubbermaid bucket) and then cover on all 4 sides with at least 3" of sand. This has lowered the noise even more. I can still hear it..but...I don't have the room to encase it in concrete. (.....you think i'm joking?)

While this cut down on the noise, it does, of course, prevent me from ever doing any maintenance on the pump.. but i'll trade that for (relative) silence.