PDA

View Full Version : Aquaripure Nitrate Reactor ??

catman78
10/03/2009, 06:00 PM
Anyone use one of these? Reviews??

http://www.aquaripure.com/index.htm

I know there are several other manufacturers making similar systems also some DIY's out there.

Just seeing if this one offers any advantages.

Tired of dosing Vodka every day.

Thanks
Mark

troy989
10/03/2009, 06:14 PM
i have never had one before i would not get one. water changes and some chaeto in the fuge and a good protien skimmer. i wanted one at one point until i read more they get cloged on guy said it killed all his fish. if you get one i would recomend the midwest sulfur dentrater i haavnt read anything bad about them and i read there costumer service was great there a bit more money thoug

coralmojo
10/04/2009, 01:05 PM
Mark--I've got one...had it for about 3 years...you need to feed it vodka once weekly...

It is a miniature version of what you are doing to your tank with vodka.

It is more work than dosing your tank with vodka.
1) Tubing clogs easily if you don't adjust your flow daily.
2) You still have to dose it weekly.
3) Should check your nitrate level monthly on output.
4) While I am still using it, I have begun dosing my tank as a whole with vodka/sugar/vinegar...I believe I am having more success with VSV...

I would keep dosing vodka and add Microbacter 7 from Brightwell...

DrMerle

Okayamapiper
10/04/2009, 07:14 PM
I believe the only denitrator type that doesn't require carbon would be a sulfur denitrator. The drawback with the sulfur version is a low pH output with will require buffering.

If you are using Kalk, you can mix it with vinegar (not the colored or flavored stuff) an produce aldehydes which will feed the bacteria without having to dose vodka.

arredondojason
10/04/2009, 07:43 PM
ok it just looks like a glorifyed coil denitrator i would say save your money if you really want one i would make it a DIY project it would run you $50 max just look up DIY coil denitrator plans it will pull up all kinds it will need to cycle just like your tank and once going you will not need to add anything to it. it will feed off your nitrates i ran one i made for about 2 and a half years with no problems the key to them is a slow flow like 120-160 GPH threw a bigger one so the anarobic bacteria have time to eat the nitrates.
the one i made never cloged or anything.

catman78
10/05/2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks guys. Bought another pint of Vodka for $3.99.

@ $3.99 a pint, it keeps me from dosing Vodka and Cranberry.

Wood_Duck69
10/07/2009, 10:03 PM
I wish someone would just open one of these aquaripure things up and tell us whats in the damn things.:idea: