PDA

View Full Version : vodka, dosing ???

koranAngel
10/03/2009, 07:45 PM
ive read on numerous thread ppl dosing vodka but no one seems to explain y and whats the point of it

it must be beneficial if u guys r getting the fish hungover rather than urself lol

seriously can some1 pls explain to me the reason of this and the method in doing so

cheers

Stanley-Reefer
10/03/2009, 10:20 PM
In a nutshell, it feed the bacteria that ends up multiplying and outcompeting the algae for the nutirents in the tank.

rng_pw
10/03/2009, 11:41 PM
I just started dosing vodka on tuesday because I started having a problem with cyano and it is already almost completely gone. So far I am a fan.

Peter Eichler
10/04/2009, 12:27 AM
There are numerous large threads on vodka and other carbon source dosing, do a search and you'll find plenty... This will get you started

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

Okayamapiper
10/04/2009, 10:12 AM
Vodka provides pure carbon (no phosphates or nitrogen) for the bacteria. The bacteria feed on this plus whatever phosphates and nitrogen compounds they can get. The bacteria floats around in the water column and are then skimmed out, thereby exporting the nitrates and phosphates out of the water, depriving nuisance algae and cyano of nutrients.

It is also used in old coil denitrators to feed the bacteria as these type of bacteria need a nutrient source. Sulfur denitrator bacteria do not need feeding but produce a slightly acidic effluent which will require neutralization.

koranAngel
10/04/2009, 07:07 PM
ok thanks for the thread

if my po4 no3 are 0
is there a point dosing the vodka
also im running po4 granules and silicate granules
since running these granules i have no type of nuisance algea

but reading on the thread it state enhance soral colour pigment water clarity
in reading the thread ill try it for a week and see what difference it makes

Genetics
10/05/2009, 05:21 AM
Koran if your nitrate/phosphate levels are under control the clearer water and increased coloration will most-likely not occur. It seems that vodka is not a good regulator of phosphates. This is probably due to pathways where anoxic environments utilize ethanol for denitrification.