PDA

View Full Version : Proactively running GAC & GFO

dwanner
10/04/2009, 01:01 PM
Do most people run GAC & GFO as a preventive measure or is it run to improve upon parameters once they have become less than desirable? I want to be proactive about avoiding algae outbreaks in my tank, but I plan on having mainly LPS and Softys and I've read that they tend to do better in a tank that a little "dirtier". Any thought would be greatly appreciated!

HighlandReefer
10/04/2009, 02:25 PM
I run GAC 24/7. The articles I have read indicate that DOM in a reef aquarium is significantly higher than found in most natural reefs. There is scientific evidence that high levels of DOM can cause problems for coral. Water changes along with running GAC can help reduce the DOM in a reef aquarium.

My experience with some soft corals (particularly Xenia), was that low levels of phosphate did not seem to affect them, whereas nitrate levels when reduced below 5 ppm or there abouts (along with low phosphate level) wiped them out.

1DeR9_3Hy
10/04/2009, 08:52 PM
I had the same experience with my xenia...it did great in the beginning...then i refined my husbandry and it literally shriveled up and was completely gone in 2 months.