PDA

View Full Version : Rimless questions

jaybfresh
10/05/2009, 12:14 PM
I'm having a custom tank made, approx. 72x18x18

The manufacturer recommended gonig rimless for this size, saying it wouldnt be needed with only 18" depth. Does that sound safe? Its a reputable company, but I dont see many 6 foot rimless tanks out there.

Also, if I go rimless, do I have to support the entire bottom of the tank. similar to acrylics? Or can it be supported on edge, just like a normal rimmed glass tank? Can I use a canopy without concern (i know it defeats the purpose, but I'll use it until I have a more eleant option)

Any other concerns with rimless? My house is old and it might be impossible to get a perfectly level tank. Levels are within 1/8", but not perfect.

Never considered rimless was a possibility with this size tank, so I've gotta find out in a hurry if I want to go for it. Thanks!

lordofthereef
10/05/2009, 05:12 PM
I have never seen one, that's for sure. Doesn't mean it can't be done, though. I am also interested in hearing if this has been done.

uncleof6
10/05/2009, 06:55 PM
I'm having a custom tank made, approx. 72x18x18

The manufacturer recommended gonig rimless for this size, saying it wouldnt be needed with only 18" depth. Does that sound safe? Its a reputable company, but I dont see many 6 foot rimless tanks out there.

Also, if I go rimless, do I have to support the entire bottom of the tank. similar to acrylics? Or can it be supported on edge, just like a normal rimmed glass tank? Can I use a canopy without concern (i know it defeats the purpose, but I'll use it until I have a more eleant option)

Any other concerns with rimless? My house is old and it might be impossible to get a perfectly level tank. Levels are within 1/8", but not perfect.

Never considered rimless was a possibility with this size tank, so I've gotta find out in a hurry if I want to go for it. Thanks!

I would build a rimless that size, so why not? Manufacturers says do it? Do it. Yeah a canopy will defeat the purpose.

A rimless glass tank requires full bottom support, the acrylic tanks are more forgiving actually than glass is. So it is more important with a glass tank. Foam under the tank also, unlike a rimmed tank, to eliminate possible point loading.

Also you want a dead flat, and dead level stand top. There is no room for close enough, and 1/8" ain't close enough.

Jim

jaybfresh
10/11/2009, 08:49 PM
Well I went with rimless top only. The bottom with be braced, but the brace will be hidden by the lip of the stand. I will also be ditching the old canopy for a "suspended canopy". My lights are a retro, so i'll just box them in and hang it over the tank.

Other than looks, is there any structural risk using a canopy on a rimless tank? I might use the old one for a few days while I finish the new one

uncleof6
10/11/2009, 09:50 PM
Protect the top edges of the glass with something for certain, as far as the risk, I cannot say for certain, I have never set a canopy on top of a rimless tank.... maybe there is some one that has....

Regards,

Jim