PDA

View Full Version : Get Ready For A New Customer

webdizzy
10/05/2009, 03:24 PM
I'm getting ready to set up my 46 gal. bow front again after taking it down a few years ago. It was a FOWLR, but never had LR like yours. This time, I want a reef so I got online to do due diligence. I want to do it right. After reading all the testimonials on your site and in these forums, I've decided to order your package once I'm ready. Can't wait!

I'm waiting for all the pieces/parts I've ordered to be delivered so I can set up the tank. I'd appreciate your feedback on the planned setup:

- 46 gal. tank
- AquaC Remora HOT skimmer (http://www.proteinskimmer.com/Product%20Pages/Remora%20Series.htm)
- 36" Sundial T5 High Output Lighting 4X39 WATT (http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/currentusa36sundialt5highoutputlighting4x39watt.aspx)
- (2) 150WATT Eheim Jager Heaters (one for redundancy in case one fails)
- (2) Hydor Koralia #1 (400 gph) Power Heads
- Reef Crystals

I'm waffling regarding the water. I've read right here in these forums where people have used tap water without problems for years. Others swear by and insist that you must use RO water. I don't know specifics about my tap water, but I have heard that it is very good quality (northeast Ohio). What's your opinion?

Thanks!

Madratter
10/05/2009, 04:05 PM
I would avoid tap water like the plague if it is municipal water (not well water). The reason is that phosphates are often added in order to reduce pipe corrosion. There can be nitrates as well. If it is well water, that is going to depend on what is in it.

Also, if you have copper piping, you can get copper leaching into the water which is obviously a very bad thing.

As for RO, it isn't strictly necessary. For example, you can go with straight DI instead. For small tanks that may be an economical choice. But you will use up the DI cartridges faster that way.

As for the two Koralia #1s, that is pretty good flow. I have one on my 20 long. Together with the flow from your protein skimmer, that will get you at least in the ballpark. Some things like really high flow rate though.

Raggamuffin
10/05/2009, 08:21 PM
I will give you my one arguement I use every time the water discussion starts with my local club.

Why risk it?

You will undoubtably be investing thousands in the tank (I've put 1600 into my nano and it has not even arrived yet, many hundreds to go before it's finished for now) so what is 250 more except insurance and the knowledge that your water is 99.999% or more pure?

webdizzy
10/05/2009, 08:31 PM
I just discovered that my husband can get me pure DI water where he works. See my new post here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1717847

aquaman67
10/06/2009, 12:34 PM
Double post.

aquaman67
10/06/2009, 12:35 PM
Your tank sounds almost exactly like mine.

I have a 50 gallon tank.

I use three 2 bulb Nova Extreme T5 lights. Two Tronic heaters (for the same reason.)

I have three Koralia 1's but I use IO salt.

I use a Remora Skimmer too.

I bought 40 lbs of rock from TBS in 2002. It's awesome. I had pictures on here until the upgrade, now they are gone.

Post some pics when you get your new rock. Setting up a tank is the best part, IMO.

I'd use RO/DI water. My tap water has .5 ppm phosphate and that's just asking for bad algae problems. Phosphate is a component of fertilizer.

webdizzy
10/06/2009, 12:43 PM
Post some pics when you get your new rock.

I''l try! It's probably gonna be a couple of weeks by the time I get it all set up. Still waiting for all the stuff to get here (I ordered most online).

webdizzy
10/06/2009, 08:30 PM
Speaking of still needing to set up the tank, once I do have it setup, filled with water and everything running smoothly, do I need to a wait a certain time period before ordering and then introducing "the package?"

aquaman67
10/07/2009, 07:11 AM
I set my tank up with new salt water and TBS rock.

I didn't get the package. I used sand I got at the fish shop.

So, IMO, once you get all your equipment I would make up some salt water to 1.026 in a different container. A new plastic garbage can will do. (I'd use a Rubbermaid Brute)

Put down a base for your live rock if you are going to use anything, you don't have to, but if you don't, make sure the rock is on the bottom. Otherwise it might shift and fall.

Put down the sand.

Cover the sand with a clean new garbage bag. Slowly fill the tank about 1/2 with the new salt water. The garbage bag keeps the sand from making a sandstorm.

Put the rock in. Try to get it where you want it. This is almost impossible. You'll want to move it around to get it just right.

If you see any brown hairy looking crabs, get rid of them. Any red crabs are ok to leave.

Fill the tank the rest of the way with water and get your skimmer going.

I would run your lights and koralias.

Let everything settle for a few days.

My tank never showed spikes in ammonia or nitrite.

I started putting fish in after two weeks.

aquaman67
10/07/2009, 09:18 AM
I forgot to mention to take the garbage bag out after the tank is 1/2 full, before you put the rock in. I'm sure you figured that out...LOL!

lionbacker54
10/08/2009, 06:59 PM
Speaking of still needing to set up the tank, once I do have it setup, filled with water and everything running smoothly, do I need to a wait a certain time period before ordering and then introducing "the package?"

i don't see why you would need to wait. after you make sure there's no leak, make up a full tank, then drain half of it into a large rubbermaid garbage can. put in part I of the package. add water back in as necessary to fill the tank. then test daily, changing water as needed under the tank cycles. then ask richard for part II, and aquascape as you like.

and be prepared for christmas in october! you will have lots of fun seeing all the fun stuff that is on the rocks.

webdizzy
10/14/2009, 12:44 PM
Update: the order has been placed and I should have delivery this Friday! Woohoo!!!

Raggamuffin
10/14/2009, 01:57 PM
WOOT! welcome to the TBS club :D it's been 5 days since I got part 1 and every single day I'm finding new guys in the tank. You will be very satisfied I know it.