PDA

View Full Version : Chemi Pure or Activated Carbon?

bayoupr
10/05/2009, 05:40 PM
What are the advantages of either? Is there a big difference between the two?

Jeff
10/05/2009, 06:08 PM
There was a recent discussion about this. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1717300
I personally think that Chemipure was the highest quality carbon for many years but now there are plenty of others out that are way cheaper and probably just as good. I use the BulkReefSupply carbon pellets.

bertoni
10/06/2009, 11:07 AM
The effective component of Chemi-Pure is the carbon, and I agree that there are a lot of good options available now. I used SeaChem Matrix and Black Diamond for a long time, but some of the bulk supply products are cheaper and very high quality.

Billybeau1
10/06/2009, 02:16 PM
Given the choice of using Chemi-pure or BRS's Rox 0.8, I would use the Rox. I also like Seachems Matrix. :)

Boomer
10/06/2009, 03:08 PM
Chemi-Pure is a very poor choice. First, the GAC is is not as good as many others in this hobby, ROX, BRS Lignite, Hydrocarbon, thefilterguys, API, Matrix, Elements, ROWA, Elos, E.S.V. and even BD and others. Second , it has ion exchange resins in it which are useless in seawater. This stuff was good for use when it first came out 25 years ago, which has not changed and when we did not really understand ion exchangers in seawater application but now Chemi-Pure is very low on the pole. They also use what is called mixed grades, which is self defeating in adsorption. I doubt it would even be among the top 15 in adsorption commonly used in this hobby.

Flipper62
10/06/2009, 11:01 PM
Boomer.....Whats your thought on a product called PURA-COMPLETE.

They say that you dont need to change it out for 4 to 6 months.

I have been using it in my office BioCube, it seems to work good.

Boomer
10/06/2009, 11:28 PM
It also has ion-exchange resins which are useless. The PO4 and Silica remover is the same thing as SeaChem's Phosguard or Kent's Phosphate Sponge. Some reefers have had issue with these products that are Activated Aluminum. You are better off with a GFO. The GAC in this stuff is a very good grade, being acid washed Bitum. So, in short, it is better than Chemi-Pure but is still a waste of money.

Flipper62
10/07/2009, 12:18 AM
It also has ion-exchange resins which are useless. The PO4 and Silica remover is the same thing as SeaChem's Phosguard or Kent's Phosphate Sponge. Some reefers have had issue with these products that are Activated Aluminum. You are better off with a GFO. The GAC in this stuff is a very good grade, being acid washed Bitum. So, in short, it is better than Chemi-Pure but is still a waste of money.

So.....scrap the Pura-Complete & just stick with carbon ?

Boomer
10/07/2009, 11:26 AM
Yah, a good GAC and maybe a GFO