PDA

View Full Version : pictures: 2 weeks old pico tank (3 gallon). how am i doing?

neupane00
10/05/2009, 10:27 PM
2 weeks old pico tank (3 gallon) how am i doing?

http://gallery.me.com/pneupane#100069

btw, also look at my month old discus tank:
http://gallery.me.com/pneupane#100073&bgcolor=black&view=grid

Zestay
10/05/2009, 10:32 PM
2 clowns in a 3 gallon tank ? how often do you check your ammonia / do water changes?

neupane00
10/05/2009, 10:35 PM
20% water change every week. those clowns are really tiny. once they grow, i will move them to my 75 gallon. been checking water. its clean...
ammonia,nitrite,nitrate: 0 .. phosphate 0.05 . ( i am running phosban on the filter). base is established live rock from my 75 gallon.

Zestay
10/05/2009, 10:37 PM
thats still kinda cramped.. id check your levels right before you do a water change to and keep feeding to a bare minimum

neupane00
10/05/2009, 10:39 PM
i have been feeding bare minimum.. like target feed counted granules per clown fish. or just target feed brine shrimp and rod's food. havent seen a single granules going to bottom of tank.

fishstick3
10/06/2009, 12:26 AM
hey dont mean to switch the topic, but I just bought a pic. what do you think of it? I am having ammonia and nitrate problem despite water changes and only feeding live food, just wanted to ask a pico pro:) btw it looks really nice

PS: GO GATORS !!!!!!

H.Veras
10/06/2009, 01:17 AM
looks really nice... i love the colors in the tank...

VacavilleFC3S
10/06/2009, 01:39 AM
honestly they need a bigger tank, and i don't recommend anything smaller than 30g for 2clowns to my customers. do what you want, your just asking for problems though in the long run.

muttley000
10/06/2009, 03:45 AM
I agree that you have a ticking time bomb with the clowns, but the tank looks great. Discus tank is looking nice also!

neupane00
10/06/2009, 05:17 AM
i agree. i am going to put those clown in bigger tank. getting rid of my 30 gallon and setting up 55 gallon.

slapshot
10/06/2009, 05:24 AM
I like both of them. Nice work.

neupane00
10/06/2009, 05:29 AM
hey dont mean to switch the topic, but I just bought a pic. what do you think of it? I am having ammonia and nitrate problem despite water changes and only feeding live food, just wanted to ask a pico pro:) btw it looks really nice

hey.. thanks. by no means i am an expert. but 75 gallon is doing really well and this good so far too. so i must be doing something right (besides i am going to move clowns to bigger tank :) first of all how old is your tank ? u have ammonia problem? was it ever fully cycled? feeding only live food doesnt mean ur nitrate problem will be solved. how much feeding? how big is your pico?

fishstick3
10/06/2009, 10:51 AM
same size pico as you. no I guesse it wasnt fully cycled yet, i thought if i used everything from the ocean i wouldnt have to wait as long for it to cycle , I was wrong. I do feeding every other to every third day about 5 brine shrimp per fish and then extra spot feeding to the zoas. I think I am letting the two tiny fish go where I caught them so hopefully that will help, i will give it a while to cycle and try again. Thanks super much. I hope eventually it looks as nice as your does:)

seapug
10/06/2009, 11:25 AM
Looks good but I agree about the clowns. They really need a larger tank. Once you get rid of them you might consider adding a really spectacular true nano fish like a flaming prawn goby or Yasha goby/pistol shrimp pair. Could make a really nice little system if stocked and maintained properly.

lordofthereef
10/06/2009, 12:03 PM
As others have said, in a tank of that size the fish are too much in the long run. The shrooms look great though. Always waned to try a pico but they are just too much maintenance and if I ever leave there isn't really anyone I trust to watch over it.

Madratter
10/06/2009, 01:43 PM
I'm a little concerned not just by the clowns (I agree with the others) but also with what appears to be a hang-on-back (HOB) filter. They have there place for running things like carbon but if being used as an actual filter, it is probably going to cause nothing but trouble in the long run. On the other hand, you can mitigate much of that by doing relatively large water changes which is easier in a tank this size.

dramage
10/06/2009, 01:48 PM
Hey what kind of light is that? looks pretty good for the size.

anyuser
10/06/2009, 02:22 PM
That's a cool little tank.

neupane00
10/06/2009, 08:04 PM

Hey what kind of light is that? looks pretty good for the size.

thank u all.. the light just comes with the kit. its called toms deco kit for like 50 bucks! and its all inclusive package for 50 bucks.. its pretty cool.. i just setup ATO. only one difficulty i found was doing topoff every morning and evening.. now that should be taken care of :) :)

neupane00
10/06/2009, 08:05 PM
As others have said, in a tank of that size the fish are too much in the long run. The shrooms look great though. Always waned to try a pico but they are just too much maintenance and if I ever leave there isn't really anyone I trust to watch over it.

why do u say its too much maintenance?? its not bad at all..

fishstick3
10/06/2009, 09:22 PM
how did you take care of that? I am having the same problem!:) but yeah they are so cool!!