PDA

View Full Version : tomato clowns

matt880305
10/06/2009, 01:41 AM
so i just put another tomato clown in my tank with the other and they are both are fighting with eachother any tips to make them stop fighting?
Thanks
Matthew DeKing

Blown 346
10/06/2009, 01:45 AM
Tomato clowns are fairly aggressive and will only get more aggressive as they age.

Im sure that your old clown is just trying to establish his territory with the new clown.

To stop the fighting so your new clown isnt completly stressed, I would re arrange the tank a little. This will establish new territory for each clown. this usually stops the bickering between fish.

Lemeshianos
10/06/2009, 02:13 AM
Give them a time-out and send them to their rooms.

PRDubois
10/06/2009, 03:29 AM
Turn off the light. Clowns are afraid of the dark.

Put a mirror on the side of the tank and let him fight with himself.

thegrun
10/06/2009, 08:24 AM
Point your finger directly at them and yell in a stern voice "STOP FIGHTING!!!"
Unfortunately it is difficult to keep tomato clowns from fighting each other or anything else you put in the tank. Tomato clowns are amongst if not the most aggressive of the clown fish. If they are both about the same size, they will likely fight to the death unless they are both very small and haven't reached sexual maturity. If one is larger (females grow to be twice the size of males) they will eventually learn to live together. If they are both small, one will become the larger female and the other will stay as a male. They will likely never tolerate other fish in their tank, especially after they get older and start to breed.

Toddrtrex
10/06/2009, 09:44 AM
so i just put another tomato clown in my tank with the other and they are both are fighting with eachother any tips to make them stop fighting?
Thanks
Matthew DeKing

How long have you had the existing clown? And how large it is? Is the new clown a good deal smaller then the existing clown?

If you have had the existing clown for a while (( 4 months or so )) and the new clown is about the same size, there is a good chance that you have 2 females, and the fighting will most likely stop when one is dead.

If the new on is a good deal smaller, you might just have to give them time. Though I would have put the smaller one in a little breeder box so they can get used to each other without any damage being done.

Pairing up clowns isn't as easy as just throwing another one into the tank.

matt880305
10/06/2009, 10:22 PM
i would say i had the old one for about 5 months (but i just re arranged my tank recently) and is about an inch. The new one is about an 1 1/2.Also i have the old one in the sump right now, with the new one in the tank

matt880305
10/07/2009, 02:48 PM
bump

matt880305
10/08/2009, 10:08 AM
bump

tranto1
10/08/2009, 10:11 AM
Remove both the clowns, rearrange the rock work and add them both in at the same time. The new rockwork should confuse them into thinking it's a different tank. It would also increase ur chance if you kept the light off the whole day. goodluck! i had the same problem before and this worked for me.