PDA

View Full Version : Cycling. Interpretation of results correct?

Jim96SC2
10/06/2009, 07:27 AM
PH: 8.4
Ammonia: 8.0
Nitrites: 0.0
Nitrates: 0.0
Ca+: 400ppm
KH: 13dKH
Phosphates: 0.0

Using the shrimp method, only put a small piece of rubble in to spread BB.

So as I see it the shrimp is decaying, noted by the ammonia, but the BB hasn't even started processing anything so no nitrification has occured. I'm using an Aqueon HOB filter, could this be absorbing some of the phos/nitrates (doubt it, but worth asking)?

Solution: Add more LR rubble.

Comments?

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/06/2009, 08:39 AM
No, the filter is not likely absorbing nitrate. Either there is no substantial nitrate yet produced, or the kit is reading incorrectly (which is unfortunately very common for nitrate kits).

How long has it been set up? I'm not sure I'd do anything but watch and wait.

Jim96SC2
10/06/2009, 10:21 AM
No, the filter is not likely absorbing nitrate. Either there is no substantial nitrate yet produced, or the kit is reading incorrectly (which is unfortunately very common for nitrate kits).

How long has it been set up? I'm not sure I'd do anything but watch and wait.

Set up for a few days, nothing substantial. I added some more LR rubble to supply more BB, even with it its only 3.5 lbs worth put on top of the 40lbs of base rock.

Didn't think so on the filter, just making sure though.

I'm quite happy with the rest of the results though. Good to know the Ca and pH are right on.

Billybeau1
10/06/2009, 02:12 PM
Since you have ammonia and zero nitrates, I doubt your biological filtration has established itself yet. Thats what breaks the ammonia down to nitrites then to nitrates.

As Randy said, you'll need to give it some time. Sometimes up to 8 weeks but many times a little less.

When you have zero ammonia and some nitrates, your filtration is doing its job.

Patience. You will be rewarded. :)