PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium creeking noise

domitilo
10/06/2009, 08:24 AM
My tank is 125 gal, I have had it up for over 12 years. In the past, I have heard an occasional crackling noise. More recently, the noise has increaded in frequency. Could this be a problem that is brewing? I fear that there is something going on with the tank seams. thanks

thegrun
10/06/2009, 08:27 AM
I would be worried, very worried! Is it the tank that is making the noise or the floor underneath it? Examine the glass joints (assuming it is glass) closely for any signs of failure of the silicone seals.

Blown 346
10/06/2009, 08:50 AM
I agree, I would be checking the stand as well. If humidity got into the wood it could be rotting and causing the wood to seperate.

anyuser
10/06/2009, 02:47 PM
I hear something similar when snails knock their shells against the glass sometimes. I didn't know what it was until I saw one of them do it. It's when they're attached to the glass and sort of "snug up" their shell and pull it in close. Maybe that's what you're hearing?

Jaycen B.
10/06/2009, 04:26 PM
Put a level on top of the tank to make sure it is not setteling due to the floor or stand. The snail thing sound good to me may also be a pistoal or mantis shrimp! Have you added anything lately?

domitilo
10/06/2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the replies, I do not see anything obviousas far as the aquarium stand. The wood is dry with no rot. As far as the aquarium seams, I really do not know what I am looking for but all apperars to be ok. I do have plenty of snails and I hope that the clicking is due to the snails on the glass. Thanks P.S. does anyone know of anyone that has experienced a glass blowout? I shudder to think......

I will put a level on the tank edge to see if it continues to be level. Good point!