PDA

View Full Version : New tank setup help please

SSMinnow
10/06/2009, 12:31 PM
I have a 90 gallon with a built in overflow. There are also 2 holes in the overflow with different size bulkheads. my question what filtration system hooks up to this size tubing? The Fluval / Marineland filters look way smaller than these bulkhead fittings.

evoracer
10/06/2009, 12:48 PM
Those are designed for a sump system, the common method for filtration in a marine tank.

Playa-1
10/06/2009, 08:10 PM
I agree, One is your drain to the sump and one would likely be a return line to pump the water back into the tank.

SSMinnow
10/07/2009, 11:23 AM
I've noticed that some sumps are open top and some look enclosed. What would you suggest? I would prefer something enclosed.

lordofthereef
10/07/2009, 11:28 AM
I don't often see closed top sumps (more like never) because open is a great way to get rid of excess heat. I suppose you could go closed though. Any particular reason?

evoracer
10/07/2009, 11:30 AM
Open top, better gas exchange and heat control. A sump doesn't need to be complicated like the ones commercially sold. It can be as simple as a 20G long tank with some baffles (separating panels) for different sections. I personally have never (and would never) paid for a sump.

SSMinnow
10/07/2009, 11:57 AM
I would think with a closed system would help with water loss and not having it spill or have humid environment under the tank stand. You comments about gas exchange and heat transfer makes a lot of sense. I'm here in south Houston and heat is an issue.

Being new to this hobby and not knowing much, I'm not opposed to buying a sump until I know the whats and whys of doing things.

So the sump takes care the of filtration? The pictures ive seen of some of the sumps look so simple its hard to believe that's all there is.

lordofthereef
10/07/2009, 02:07 PM
You are right about the humidity, but I can almost guarantee you will need to run a chiller if you do a closed top. If you are running a skimmer I personally wouldn't worry much about the gas exchange issue. You get far more gas exchange from your skimmer than anywhere else in the system.

As far as build versus buy, all a sump is, is a box that holds some more water and is a place to hold your skimmer, probes, heater, etc. There really isn't a hole lot to it. Not saying don't buy one, but looking at a few threads, especially the DIY sump builds to get a good idea.

Zebodog
10/07/2009, 02:19 PM
So the sump takes care the of filtration? The pictures ive seen of some of the sumps look so simple its hard to believe that's all there is.

It's usually the Live Rock, sand/gravel or combination of both that handles most of the filtration.

TBHockey
10/07/2009, 02:48 PM
Also, check your Houston Area Reef Club Forum if there is one, or even Craigslist for a small Aquarium 20/30 Gallon Breeder would be good for a 90 Gallon tank and you can get a local glass company to cut some baffles. I did one that way, the baffles ended up costing me $7.00 each, and it was easy to do and ended up costing me under $75 for everything to make the sump.