PDA

View Full Version : Who doses Iodine/Iodide?

DC_40gallon
10/06/2009, 06:16 PM
As a newbie, I read that people either put a drop or two of iodine in their tank daily or ever other day or they freak out and say "DON'T DO IT!"

Can you professionals help me out?

Who puts iodine in their tanks and why do they do it?

I even see where LFS' sell it.

Billybeau1
10/06/2009, 06:30 PM
Give this a read. Come back with more questions if needed. ;)

Iodine in Reef Aquaria
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/chem.htm

DC_40gallon
10/06/2009, 06:32 PM
I actually just got through reading that.

I'm still confused on who would and who wouldn't.

Is it one of those gimmicky things where for people like me (40 gallon breeder) who is doing a 5 gallon water change weekly, it's a waste to even look at all the supplements on the shelves?

I have to admit, each time I go to any LFS or big box store like Petco/PetsMart, I see these supplements by various places such as Kent Marine and I wonder who uses this stuff and why.

Billybeau1
10/06/2009, 06:43 PM
Many of these so called necessary supplements are sold to put money in someones pocket and are not needed.

Have you seen this one ?

What chemicals need to be supplemented

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php

DC_40gallon
10/06/2009, 07:26 PM
Gotcha

Does anyone dose Iodine/Iodide?

If I am doing a 12.5% water change weekly, would it hurt or create any benefit to putting in a drop every day of the Kent Marine Iodide?

I have a 40 breeder, polyps, 1 leather and a Goby (soon to be an anemone and 2 clownfish).

DC_40gallon
10/06/2009, 07:28 PM
Or I should ask this -

I would like to add a little supplements to my water for my corals

What would be the "miracle gro" for corals that I can add as a booster for my coral growth?

Billybeau1
10/06/2009, 07:44 PM
I do not think it would hurt anything to put a drop or two of iodide. I just do not think it is needed. That's up to you.

There are no miracle gro's that I know other than keeping your water parameters in check and providing good water movement and lighting.

DC_40gallon
10/06/2009, 07:46 PM
thanks again Billy! Gosh I hate being a newbie...ohwell with time I tell myself, with time :)

Billybeau1
10/06/2009, 08:18 PM
We were all newbies once. :)

iceman79
10/06/2009, 10:31 PM
I use iodine to help my shrimp molt and i think it works for that reason well

Flipper62
10/06/2009, 10:51 PM
If your using a good salt mix, there really is no need to dose Iodine. There should be the correct amounts in the salt. Regular water changes & you should be good.

Iodine is very toxic. If not properly tested for first, it can do way more harm to your tank then good.

Billybeau1
10/06/2009, 10:57 PM
There is also the fact that you do not want to force molting too often, which iodine could do. Unless you want dead shrimp.

iceman79
10/06/2009, 11:01 PM
overdosing iodine can produce premature molting

Flipper62
10/06/2009, 11:15 PM
Shrimp molting is a natural prosses that a shrimp will go through. Its a sign that the shrimp is doing well & growing. This will also depend on the conditions & parameters of the tank. If the conditions & parameters of the tank are good, you will see them molting.

Adding Iodine to the tank just trying to get the shrimp to molt is just going to get you some dead shrimp.

If your water parameters & conditions are where they should be, the shrimps will molt naturally.

Boomer
10/06/2009, 11:24 PM
Any reef tank has more "Iodine" in than it needs based on a number of tank assays, like on the order of 2 - 50 x to much. They get all the Iodine they need from their food.

KillerReef
10/07/2009, 12:04 AM
There is also the fact that you do not want to force molting too often, which iodine could do. Unless you want dead shrimp.

Sorry to hijack, first off Billy is it possible that a shrimp can molt too often? Mine seems to do it about every week and a half? Is that too much? Thanks, Dave

Second, I do not dose iodine and do not recommend it without a proper test kit. As stated above it can do more harm than good if not maintained properly...

Boomer
10/07/2009, 11:25 AM
Dave that is the issue they molt to often which weakens and kills them. It takes allot of energy for a crustacean to molt, not to mention it fastest itself during pre-molt, molt and post-molt.