PDA

View Full Version : Dosing "Randys two part" Or "BRS Two Part"

matrixpb03
10/06/2009, 07:15 PM
Does noone understand that you can not add baking soda and calcium chloride in the same day? They will bind up and cause calcium precipitation, And one day it will get to a point where you cant raise your calcium at all and it will stay low, And your sand will harden over time. If you call any of the major companies they will tell you the EXACT SAME THING. Call kent and ask if you can add turbo cal and super dkh in the same day, Cause that is what your doing.
And not to mention baking soda has a PH of 8.0 so your PH will always want to stay around that. I just dont see why noone has thought of this???
You can not mix sodium carbonate (washing soda) or sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and calcium chloride in the same day in a aquarium or you will get this....

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_compo...lcium_chloride

maynardjames
10/06/2009, 08:28 PM
if this is true
how & why do kent, two little fishes,esv,brightwell,dt`s,aquac,bulk reef supply,buckeye field supply & several other companys sell daily 2 part products? or do they?
sounds like the goverment might be involved in this conspiracy, only way so many people could be brainwashed into this kind of mass confusion. i say we get to the bottom of this issue now!

matrixpb03
10/06/2009, 08:32 PM
if this is true
how & why do kent, two little fishes,esv,brightwell,dt`s,aquac,bulk reef supply,buckeye field supply & several other companys sell daily 2 part products? or do they?
sounds like the goverment might be involved in this conspiracy, only way so many people could be brainwashed into this kind of mass confusion. i say we get to the bottom of this issue now!

Bionic, Kent two part, All the true ionically balanced products can be added in the same day but the ones that are just calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate are fakes and can not and should not be added in the same day.

Billybeau1
10/06/2009, 08:33 PM
Geez Matrix, I think you have reading overload.

You can certainly add baking soda and calcium chloride on the same day. I do it all the time.

In fact, you can probably add them within a half hour apart with no problems.

And who told you baking soda had a pH of 8.0 ? Ridiculous.

I think you need to do some reading, We have a thread here called Reef Chemistry Articles. It has many threads that discuss your concerns.

I suggest you read them. We deal in facts here in the Chemistry forum. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/07/2009, 04:56 AM
matrixpb03:

You have posted a link with an abbreviation in the middle (the ...), so it does not work. You need to post the whole link for folks to be able to follow it.

That said, the notion is incorrect regardless of where you read it. There is a great deal of bogus info on the net with respect to reef chemistry. That is why we started the reef chemistry forum: to bring sanity to a world filled with nonsense.

The kernel of truth behind these concerns is that you do not want to mix calcium chloride solutions and alkalinity supplements outside of the tank water. Doing so will precipitate calcium carbonate.

But once added and mixed in, the added calcium and bicarbonate/carbonate does not know when it was added to the tank. It does not need to :"age" in the water. As soon is it disperses it is the same as calcium and bicarbonate/carbonate already in the water. That dispersal may take a few seconds in some systems, or longer in some with extended sumps, refugia, etc. Think of them like food coloring dispersing through your system. If the color is reasonably spread out, there's no longer any precipitation concern.

I've discussed such issues in many articles and threads, but this one may be most on point:

What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium?
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-07/rhf/index.htm

And not to mention baking soda has a PH of 8.0 so your PH will always want to stay around that.

Not sure what you mean. The ph of what you add does not determine the tank pH. Limewater has a pH over 12, but adding it does not force the tank to pH 12. :)

Ordinary baking soda has a slight pH lowering effect. Baked baking soda has a slight pH boost effect. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/07/2009, 06:29 AM
All the true ionically balanced products can be added in the same day but the ones that are just calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate are fakes and can not and should not be added in the same day.

:lol:

Pure and utter nonsense. I'd blame it on ignorance, but it may trace back to sales reps trying to sell commercial products. Several reef chemistry companies have a clear history of making untrue claims to push their own products.

flamron
10/07/2009, 06:38 AM
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_compound_is_formed_from_sodium_bicarbonate_and_calcium_chloride

Here is the link that he is trying to provide. If anyone needs me, I will be in the basement filling glasses of water with aluminum foil on my head.

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/07/2009, 06:53 AM
OK, thanks. :)

Aside from a presumed typo where they state

"So, when you mix calcium carbonate and sodium bicarb, you get: "

which they presumably meant:

"So, when you mix calcium chloride and sodium bicarb, you get: "

there is nothing new or notable. It is well known to most people who use calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate to not mix them in solution outside of the tank. The same does not apply in seawater solutions. :)

OwenInAZ
10/07/2009, 08:22 AM
Geez Matrix, I think you have reading overload.

You can certainly add baking soda and calcium chloride on the same day. I do it all the time.

In fact, you can probably add them within a half hour apart with no problems.

And who told you baking soda had a pH of 8.0 ? Ridiculous.

I think you need to do some reading, We have a thread here called Reef Chemistry Articles. It has many threads that discuss your concerns.

I suggest you read them. We deal in facts here in the Chemistry forum. :)

Or in my case, two or three minutes apart once they've had a chance to shoot around and dissolve.

My point over in reef discussion was that as long as the chemicals have a chance to get into solution, they're not going to care when they were added, because their concentrations are really going to be too low to do anything. But I think Randy already made that point here. :p