PDA

View Full Version : CA & Alk Consumption Across Different Volumes of Water

Rick55555
10/06/2009, 07:17 PM
I'm new to keeping a nano. I just took down my 150 gallon SPS tank and plan on setting up an Elos Mini (20 gallons). I plan on placing many of my SPS in the nano, but I'm skeptical about implementing my previous 2-part dosing regiment. Suppose that in the 150 gallon my corals' calcium and alkalinity demand was such that I needed to administer 30ml of 2-part. I'm wondering what I should start dosing in the nano (assuming the same coral are placed in the nano). I realize that the demand will temporarily decrease (due to stress caused by the move). But how does this work?

Additionally, if I start off administering 30ml of 2-part in the nano, what will that do to the parameters. Specifically, will this amount of 2-part cause too drastic a shift in my Alk and CA readings?

I hope I'm being clear. I'm assuming that if I have 400ppm calcium in 150 gallons of water and 400ppm calcium in the nano, there's more calcium in the 150 gallons than in the nano. Therefore, will the same number of coral have more of a detrimental impact on the amount of calcium in the nano than in the 150 gallon.

Thanks in advance

Rick

Billybeau1
10/06/2009, 07:30 PM
Therefore, will the same number of coral have more of a detrimental impact on the amount of calcium in the nano than in the 150 gallon.

Thanks in advance

Rick

Yes, I believe it will. Once you make the transition, I believe you will have to learn all over again what your cal and alk consumption rate is in the nano.

You will most likely use less supplement but very well have to add it more often if you want to keep your tank consistent. If that makes any sense. :)

Mike O'Brien
10/06/2009, 07:49 PM
In a perfect world, you would need to dose exactly the same amount. But we don't live there, so there are many other factors involved. But yes, the amount of water doesn't matter. A coral will still require it's daily demands to be met. Same can be said for light. If a certain coral needs a certain amount of par for optimal health, that requirement doesn't change regardless of what size the box of water it's in is.

Rick55555
10/07/2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the advice. :)

Rick