PDA

View Full Version : Anemone I.D.

kati537
10/06/2009, 08:41 PM
I needed some help identifying an anemone i recently bought. I bought it as a bubbletip anemone at the petco i work in. It came in with a shipment of similar looking anemones but all the others had rounder tips while this one had long tentacles with bright tipes. They all had similar looking feet and were about the same shade, although this one had the most pink. If it is a bubbletip, would that mean that it was a rose bubbletip? Someone was thinking it might be a malu anemone. Thanks for any help

Mods: you can move this post if you think it would be better in the anemone/clownfish forum, thanks

Bongo Shrimp
10/06/2009, 09:17 PM
Yes that would be a bubble tip anemone but no it is not a rose bubble tip. Rose bubble tips will be BRIGHT red to pink in color and there would be no distinguishing dots on the tips because the entire thing is one color.

dalston
10/07/2009, 07:58 PM
It's an RBTA, probably just really stressed due to collection and shipping, it will most likely color up given the correct lighting and conditions

RokleM
10/08/2009, 06:49 AM
Actually, you're both probably partially right. It looks like a green with red tips. I've seen a lot of those floating around in the last 6-12 months. A very cool combo.

coralreefer80
10/13/2009, 11:08 AM
Definately looks like a rose bubble tip, but it is hard to tell at this point - it looks pretty stressed? That type of lighting do you have? If your water is in good shape and you have strong lighting it should start to get it's full color relatively soon and another picture at that point might help. I have a green bubble tip and it took some time (like a month) to regain it's color - partially because it wouldn't eat for several weeks after the move.

BarbMazz
10/13/2009, 11:17 AM
I agree that it's an RBTA, and that it looks stressed. It's mouth looks a bit gapey.

kati537
10/13/2009, 05:04 PM
Right now he's in a 29g that is an ex-reef tank (now the only inhabitants are a breeding pair of ocellaris clowns) with a 65w power compact (130w fixture with one bulb not working, i'll be ordering a new fixture soon). His color has actually faded since i put him in the tank. He expanded and has more of a see-through look. He's eaten a couple krill and has not contracted at all yet. The pic was during acclimation.

dalston
10/13/2009, 05:39 PM
65W of PC lighting on a 29 gal tank is very far from ideal, unless the lighting is upgraded soon, you will continue to see a decline in your anemones health. A see through anemone is bleached and is a very bad sign of poor health.

Keep up the feeding and upgrade those lights!!
Also remember to acclimate it to the new lighting, going from low light to high light is hard on a bleached nem.