PDA

View Full Version : how much gph for biocube 14

youpey
10/07/2009, 09:35 AM
i have the maxi jet 900 and the koralia 1 in my biocube 14g. that is just over 600 gallons per hour of flow. is that too much for 14g.

i dont have the bio balls, so my 3 sections in the back are all full, which adds quite a bit of water. i dont know if that matters.

i just put them in, and my clownfish seems ok, but once i put it in, it stirred up a bunch of stuff, so i am thinking it is good.

do you agree that it is OK for that much or should i get rid of the koralia, which would eliminate 400gph

thegrun
10/07/2009, 09:52 AM
42 changes an hour is high, a lot depends upon the rockwork and how the water flows. If your fish need to constantly swim hard, it is too much. I have a little 12 gallon nano tank set up that had a similar problem. By aiming the koralia at one of the tank walls, I was able to reduce the current enough for the fish to be comfortable.

Sugar Magnolia
10/07/2009, 09:53 AM
The amount of flow will really depend on what corals you are planning on keeping. Some prefer a higher flow, SPS for example, while softies prefer a moderate to low flow.

youpey
10/07/2009, 12:02 PM
i have the koralia on the bottom baxk corner, right next to the wall. the fish doesnt have to swim hard if he is in the middle of the tank. for the koralia, since it is right next to the wall and the floor, also there is a rock on the side of it, the only place there is a lot of flow is up and in front of it, which is in the back of the tank, since the fish is in the back of the tank then there is a lot.

i guess i will give it a couple of days and see what is going on. it just sucks because i was overcharged for it since i ordered it from my LFS, so i dont really want it to go to waste, but if i have to i will

lordofthereef
10/07/2009, 01:57 PM
Sounds like too much flow to me. Even for SPS I feel it would be a bit on the high side. If you decide to take one out I wouldn't look at it as going to waste so much as having a backup in case on goes bad.

Sugar Magnolia
10/07/2009, 02:08 PM
You can always use the koralia as a water mixer for water changes. I keep a spare maxijet around and use it in a 5 gallon bucket. The night before a water change, I measure out my water and salt then add the powerhead and let it mix all night.

DC_40gallon
10/07/2009, 02:59 PM
Or hell, do like the rest of us and if you oversize purchased a powerhead....upgrade your tank!

It's always convenient to say, "oh darn my powerhead is too strong" and finalize it with, "Welp, guess I'll get a bigger tank, more live rock, more substrate and...what the hell, bigger strong light to go with it too!"

stanlalee
10/07/2009, 05:14 PM
I have the stock pump (whatever GPH that is) plus a Koralia 1. Works fine for me. I have everything from ricordia that dont like much flow to monti cap which can handle high flow (for a mixed reef) easily. my clownfish have no problem swimming anywhere, neither does the boxer shrimp going where it wants. Corals and sand arent blowing around. I dont think I'd want any more flow than I have though so maybe with the maxijet its a bit much.

Been_There8
10/07/2009, 08:57 PM
Or hell, do like the rest of us and if you oversize purchased a powerhead....upgrade your tank!

It's always convenient to say, "oh darn my powerhead is too strong" and finalize it with, "Welp, guess I'll get a bigger tank, more live rock, more substrate and...what the hell, bigger strong light to go with it too!"

I'm going through this problem, im a poor guy stuck in a rich mans hobby.

Flipper62
10/07/2009, 09:23 PM
I have a Oceanic BioCube 14 in my office & have made a lot of Mods to it from the stock tank. The stock tank is ok if your just going to have a fish only tank.

The stock return pump in a Oceanic BioCube 14 is 137 GPH. The Maxi-Jet 900 is 230 GPH. That is just fine if your going to use it as a replacement to the stock pump. HOWEVER, I can tell you that that Maxi-Jet will not fit down into the same place where the stock pump was. It will have to sit up on top of that plastic divider, about 2 inches off the bottom of that chamber.

I use a RIO +800, its 211 GPH and its the same size as the stock pump. It fits right down into the same place where there stock pump was. Its a much better water flow .

I then have a Koralia Nano in the display area, just to keep a good water movement in the tank.........All is well & working just fine.