PDA

View Full Version : Low pH

sfboarders
10/07/2009, 09:46 AM
I have a 100 gallon FOWLR tank that just recently finished cycling last week. I checked the numbers and this is what they were (using API test kit):

nitrite 0ppm
ammonia 0ppm
nitrate 2.5ppm
pH 8.4 ppm

I added more LR to my tank and got a mini cycle. The numbers are basically the same but now the pH is lower.

nitrite 0ppm
ammonia 0ppm
nitrate 2.5ppm
pH 7.8 ppm

I did a 50% water change and the numbers are the same.

I have plenty of water circulation (2) K4's and 2 returns from an Eheim 1260 with Flow Accelerators. I don't have any fish or CUC in my tank this moment. I'd like to get pH up before I start adding life in there. I don't run any lights at this time and do have the lids on my tank on to keep the moisture out of my lighting and canopy. I will probably be using my lids because my T5 light fixture is close to the water and do not want water to get splashed on it. Is the only way around this with additives?

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

David Grigor
10/07/2009, 10:40 AM
Likely the PH drop is becuase your tank is finding an equlibrium with your home CO2 levels. For a Fish only 7.8 should be fine. If you really want to increase, fresh air in the house should solve.

sfboarders
10/07/2009, 10:49 AM
Likely the PH drop is becuase your tank is finding an equlibrium with your home CO2 levels. For a Fish only 7.8 should be fine. If you really want to increase, fresh air in the house should solve.

Thanks David for the quick response! The weather is starting to get cool in SF. I live pretty close to the coast so we get the ocean air conditioning. Even though it's FO I'd still like to maintain the 8.2 - 8.4 range. Anything else I can do to increase the pH?

cdamiano
10/07/2009, 11:10 AM
Dosing Kalk will increase the PH.

sfboarders
10/07/2009, 11:16 AM
Dosing Kalk will increase the PH.

Thanks cdamiano for the info! Do I have to use kalk or a 2 part mix? Can I get a pH buffer to raise it back up? Something like this (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?category=Kent_Marine_Pro_Buffer_dKH_Liquid_pH_KH_Buffer_Additives_Supplements&vendor=Kent_Marine&idProduct=KM3592&IdCategory=FIADPKLA&tab=0)?

kgross
10/07/2009, 04:21 PM
If you want the pH to go up, you will need to remove CO2 from the system (as long as your alk is in the normal range, a low alk can cause low pH). Kalk will "use up" some of the CO2 causing a higher pH, or you can decrease the CO2 level in the tank, by decreasing it in the house be allowing more fresh air into the house.

The best thing you can do right now is to read this article.
ttp://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php