PDA

View Full Version : Kalk or 2 part--need advice

marke
10/07/2009, 09:52 AM
I am presently running a CA reactor geo 618, and would like to also begin dosing to keep the levels up as I have a 250 gal tank with high sps demand. I was going to begin with Kalk via a doser, however in doing some reading, which causes confusion. It seems going to a 2 part regimine might be better than kalk. I need some advice so I dont begin one and then have to try the other. Thanks in advance for the help! It appreciated.
PS present readings: Ca 380, KH 8 Mg 1250, no phosphates, ph 8.2

David Grigor
10/07/2009, 10:30 AM
If your using a CA reactor there really shouldn't be a need to use any supplements for your CA / ALK levels. Just tune your reactor to increase those levels by adjusting the effluent rate and/or bubble count.

If PH is a concern then use the Kalkwasser will likely have a better advantage over 2 part because it will help offset the additional CO2 from the reactor.

marke
10/07/2009, 10:37 AM
I have tried pushing the reactor but it wont raise levels. I was told reactor is good to maintain levels but not to increase. Kalk seems to be the way to go, but I think if I use 2 part then it might be easier to raise levels more precisly?

kgross
10/07/2009, 04:25 PM
If you want to raise levels, the 2 part is the best way to go. If your reactor does not keep up with the demand of your system you need to tune it so it will keep up.

Kalk is actually pretty low in calcium and alk, but can be very inexpensive and helps keep the pH it. It is worse than the Ca reactor to raise the levels to be honest.

You might want to read through this article and see if helps explain it a little better.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

marke
10/08/2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the article. I have gotten two responses saying my reactor should do the job without 2part or kalk. Guess I need to increase the effluent and the bpm and test more often for a while to see if I can dial it in correctly. I did just change the media a couple days ago, which could be the problem. I have a doser so I was thinking about dosing small amounts of Kalk daily along with the reactor, might not be needed?