PDA

View Full Version : Littleneck clams; healthy food?

tylorarm
10/07/2009, 01:24 PM
Seems like lots of fish just love littleneck clams, also the clean up crew. I've historically only used them in QT but any problems throwing them in the DT a few times a week? Are they healthy for the fish? And do they add contanaments to the water? Never any leftovers to worry about, other than the empty shell.

AuroraDrvr
10/07/2009, 01:28 PM
One of the best foods you can feed. You need to purge them beforehand, however.

Once I purge them, I just drop them into the DT in specific corner. They'll bury into the sand, and its easy to grab one and crack it open.

tylorarm
10/07/2009, 02:17 PM
what do you mean by purging them? squeeze out their crap?

tylorarm
10/07/2009, 02:18 PM
Very cool butterfly in your avatar by the way

AuroraDrvr
10/07/2009, 02:22 PM
Drop them in a bowl of tank water for a few (4 or so) hours. They'll expel the waste and water they are holding within their shells. Reducing the risk of possible contamination or disease.

tylorarm
10/07/2009, 02:42 PM
thanks, how long do they stay alive in the DT?

AuroraDrvr
10/07/2009, 03:42 PM
thanks, how long do they stay alive in the DT?
I have some going on 6+ months. You'll likely use them long before they die.

addicted2reefin
10/07/2009, 06:17 PM
im in the seafood industry and ive seen clams live for 2+ months OUT of water

lobsterotomy
10/07/2009, 11:06 PM
They have to be kept refrigderated though in that case. Also in a climate controlled environment too.

Just wondering though, is there any risk of contamination when using these clams to feed the tank? Any way to mitigate the risk (ie pretreat the clams in QT or something?)

AuroraDrvr
10/08/2009, 12:11 AM
Just wondering though, is there any risk of contamination when using these clams to feed the tank? Any way to mitigate the risk (ie pretreat the clams in QT or something?)

Drop them in a bowl of tank water for a few (4 or so) hours. They'll expel the waste and water they are holding within their shells. Reducing the risk of possible contamination or disease.

Big E
10/08/2009, 01:59 AM
I've been feeding them for years, but I freeze them & pull them out as needed. I chop the clam meat up rinse all the juice away & then feed. It's a lot less messy this way & there is no way any diseases can be transmitted.