PDA

View Full Version : Vodka Dosing for Nitrates or Az NO3 and PH question...

SaltLifeLove
10/07/2009, 01:44 PM
Best way to lower Nitrates? What is an appropriate amount of vodka to dose on a 20L b/c water changes don't seem to be making a difference. I have heard negative and positive things about AZ NO3...opinions? I have a frog spawn and a small zoa and Nitrate remains at 20 even with 20% water changes (worried about them dyeing but they seem ok, these are my first corals) . Can over feeding cause high nitrates? I have searched the forums but cant seem to get a clear idea on my size and situation. Thanks Guys!
Oh and my pH is stuck at 7.8 best way to raise it?
SOrry for the random babbling...maybe I am over thinking this???:wildone:

jenjen
10/07/2009, 01:50 PM
Best way to lower nitrates is to feed less and do more frequent water changes for starters. I wouldn't start dosing anything until you've gotten to the bottom of what's causing the issue. Do you have any sponges or filter socks in your system?

arredondojason
10/07/2009, 02:43 PM
i am getting ready to start the vodka dosing as well i have not heard of anything negitive unless you overdose it.
here is a link that will get you up to were you need to be it also has dosing tables for the proof of vodka you are using.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

Hop
10/07/2009, 03:42 PM
An no3 reading of 20 is nothing to get excited about... More importantly... what does the tank look like and what is it telling you?

Vodka dosing is serious business. It's not a fly-by the seat of your pants decision and you need to understand the chemistry behind it.

SaltLifeLove
10/08/2009, 09:39 AM
Tank looks great, fish act fine and corals look well. I am leaning towards over feeding being the problem. I am going to cut back on feedings and continue to test and see what happens...go from there.

Caetano_Thiago
10/08/2009, 09:45 AM
for starters, u should cut back the feeding to every other day, and only feed what they can eat within 2min. and bump it up to doing weekly water changes.. how many gallons is your tank? as for ur ph. the water changes will start to show you a difference.. you dont have to go into buffers, and dosing just yet.. i agree with jenjen that you should get to the source of the prob first before messing around with some trick means of fixing your nitrates.. trust us we have all been in your shoes before.

SaltLifeLove
10/08/2009, 09:48 AM
I know pH at 7.8 is OK but I would really like it to be where it should be, like 8.4 is there something I can do to get my pH up other than using the chemical ph UP?

nukemdanno
10/08/2009, 10:07 AM
What kind of substrate are you using? The argonite does a good job keeping a stable PH. Also Kalk dosing will help keep a stable PH.

Henry Bowman
10/08/2009, 12:31 PM
I know pH at 7.8 is OK but I would really like it to be where it should be, like 8.4 is there something I can do to get my pH up other than using the chemical ph UP?

Low pH can be due to tank load and other items but is usually a result of poor fresh air circulation in the area where the tank is located. If you can, run the skimmer air intake out a window or open windows.

SaltLifeLove
10/08/2009, 06:35 PM
What kind of substrate are you using? The argonite does a good job keeping a stable PH. Also Kalk dosing will help keep a stable PH.

I have crushed coral and live sand about 1 1/2 inch deep sand bed. Thanks for the advice :)

SaltLifeLove
10/08/2009, 06:37 PM
Low pH can be due to tank load and other items but is usually a result of poor fresh air circulation in the area where the tank is located. If you can, run the skimmer air intake out a window or open windows.

Good to know about Fresh Air, I never thought about that before.

Henry Bowman
10/08/2009, 08:16 PM
Heres the article that I read when I became aware of the "fresh air" issue and pH

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

xmjxflipx
10/08/2009, 08:39 PM
i use to use AZ-NO3.........i was having nitrate issues.............no corals were harmed just follow the bottle directions.......itll tell you to start low at a certain amount of drops then you increase over the week.............your nitrates will eventually hit to low 5 or 0........then u decrease it to 1/4 dose.........Like everyone has said reduce feedings in fish will help prevent accumulation of nitrates. Also if you dont have a fuge yet add a refugium or some chaeto to help with the nitrate/phosphate.