PDA

View Full Version : Rock stable Alk wanted- 2 part or Ca reactor or ?

BradR
10/07/2009, 02:01 PM
Having seen so many high dollar setups lose SPS to alk swings I was wondering which method tends to be the most reliable.
My intuition says 2 part is but b/c of the increased coinage running it I'm still in denial..

kgross
10/07/2009, 04:10 PM
Both and neither.
A Ca reactor is not more reliable or less reliable than dosing pumps for 2 part. It really just depends on the quality of the components that make up the ca reactor setup or dosing setup. Most tanks do not have a quick change in alk demand so unless you have some type of a failure in the hardware either one should keep your alk fairly stable. You will have to readjust as the demand in your tank increases though.

Kim

bertoni
10/07/2009, 09:27 PM
I agree. With a good reactor or a good dosing pump, either way, the tank should be fine. The two-part will tend to raise alkalinity over time, but not all that much.

DT's_Reef
10/08/2009, 03:38 AM
After having both, my preference is Profilux on my 85g.

+1 to previous posters

ksed
10/08/2009, 06:47 AM
I'd like to also hear what reefers have to say about the two methods,as I am also in the process of purchasing new equipment.

BradR
10/08/2009, 06:38 PM
Ok, thanks. I guess looking at the number of things that can go wrong in a given system and accounting for the quality of a system is the way to decide. Doh! Ok, gonna do some thinking. :)